• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the reality is that in 4.5 billion years time the sun will become a red giant and the Earth will no longer be habitable and therefore humanity will be dead - and that assumes no other world killing event takes place prior to that

So plan a is not to save this planet - that is a really short term goal - plan a is to ensure that humanity has a permanent base on a number of different worlds spread across this galaxy and many others (we will crash into Andromeda galaxy in the future - which would be fun)

So I agree with the idea behind Miss Thunberg's impassioned plea - however she does not actually offer an answers - only accusations.

Also it's all well and good going off at Trump but maybe she should concentrate on China, India or Russia - - oh wait they would probably just ensure she disappeared.

I mean Russia is a lot closer to Miss Thunberg's own country surely the carbon footprint for her to travel there would be smaller.

• CO2 emissions by country | Statista

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      So I agree with the idea behind Miss Thunberg's impassioned plea - however she does not actually offer an answers - only accusations.

Also it's all well and good going off at Trump but maybe she should concentrate on China, India or Russia - - oh wait they would probably just ensure she disappeared.

I mean Russia is a lot closer to Miss Thunberg's own country surely the carbon footprint for her to travel there would be smaller.

She went to New York (by boat) because the UN Climate Summit was there and not in Russia.

HTH, BIDI.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Looks she has yet to actually do anything.

She is raising awareness of issues which are well known.

You also need to remember that a lot of people surrounding her are only using the whole green movement as a platform for their own personal aspirations.

So yes she is to be applauded but lets see what really changes shall we?
        Well the reality is that in 4.5 billion years time the sun will become a red giant and the Earth will no longer be habitable and therefore humanity will be dead - and that assumes no other world killing event takes place prior to that

So plan a is not to save this planet - that is a really short term goal - plan a is to ensure that humanity has a permanent base on a number of different worlds spread across this galaxy and many others (we will crash into Andromeda galaxy in the future - which would be fun)

For someone who “has yet to actually do anything”, it seems like she’s triggered you to do whatever your version of “thinking” is.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          For someone who “has yet to actually do anything”, it seems like she’s triggered you to do whatever your version of “thinking” is.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            I am not triggered at all just trying to cut through some of the emotion and outrage to get to the point.

It is not like climate change is a new topic is it.

Comment

Wait, are you really considering 4.5 BILLION years to be "short term"? A time period many times the period of time that anything resembling humanity has been around, and something like 100,000x of the history of what we could consider civilisation.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Wait, are you really considering 4.5 BILLION years to be "short term"? A time period many times the period of time that anything resembling humanity has been around, and something like 100,000x of the history of what we could consider civilisation.
                Relative to the universe becoming a sea of photos, it is short term.

The world will be fine. Humankind is stuffed. And I would rather live life to the max - stuff the environment. The rest of you can listen to a child if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Relative to the universe becoming a sea of photos, it is short term.
                  Relative to that, there isn't a fat lot of anything that isn't short term - which is why it's such a completely useless comparator when discussing humankind.

The world will be fine. Humankind is stuffed. And I would rather live life to the max - stuff the environment. The rest of you can listen to a child if you want.
                  Interesting take - I thought you yourself had kids?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad
                    I do have children. Trying to get them to recycle is nigh on impossible - I do most of the recycling.

I want them to live life to the max too. I would prefer it if they did not have children. No for the planet - but just because children are so annoying. Maybe it is just my children.....
                    So you’re the one breeding the next set of chavs...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad
                      I do have children. Trying to get them to recycle is nigh on impossible - I do most of the recycling.

I want them to live life to the max too. I would prefer it if they did not have children. No for the planet - but just because children are so annoying. Maybe it is just my children.....
                      I don't find your kids annoying, but then they're not mine
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X