• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The cover up of crimes after the Spanish Civil War

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Chunts like you feeling me up and not taking "No!" for an answer. Hth.
    Next time stay in economy.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hard to imagine now but Spain was still a dictatorship until 1975 and their chosen method of capital punishment was death by garotting.

And you needed a visa to get in as well. I can still clearly remember driving over the border from France into No Man's Land with my parents and the soldiers who very firmly clasped their hands on their rifles when they saw our car approaching the Spanish border post.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
        Hard to imagine now but Spain was still a dictatorship until 1975 and their chosen method of capital punishment was death by garotting.
        History of the garotte (or garrotte)

Gosh.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Why does that mean they are not political prisoners?
          Originally posted by original PM View Post
          And you are happy that having an opposing political view as enough to throw people into prison?
          They weren't jailed for merely holding an opposing political views, which would make them political prisoners.

They weren't jailed for holding an illegal referendum.

They were jailed for act of sedition, declaring independence, against the Spanish constitution and against the wishes of the population of Catalonia.

My cousin lives in Catalonia, according to him there isn't really that much support for independence, definitely not a majority. Puigdemont and his cronies decided to roll the dice and failed miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            They weren't jailed for merely holding an opposing political views, which would make them political prisoners.

They were jailed for act of sedition, declaring independence, against the Spanish constitution and against the wishes of the population of Catalonia.

My cousin lives in Catalonia, according to him there isn't really that much support for independence, definitely not a majority. Puigdemont and his cronies decided to roll the dice and failed miserably.

wait till the SNP get there..
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Chunts like you feeling me up and not taking "No!" for an answer. Hth.

hmmm why do I have this in my brain now?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

None of that means they're not political prisoners.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post

And you needed a visa to get in as well. I can still clearly remember driving over the border from France into No Man's Land with my parents and the soldiers who very firmly clasped their hands on their rifles when they saw our car approaching the Spanish border post.
                  Hard to imagine now but Spain was still a dictatorship until 1975
                  yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.
                    What was the program called? I'd like to watch it.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                      What was the program called? I'd like to watch it.
                      Facing Franco's Crimes: The Silence of Others

BBC 4 Monday 22:00

Comment

Working...
                      X