• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to front 80% of wages up to £2500/month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I agree with you in general but do please push off... No one could of foreseen or been prepared for this tulip show....

My wife has just gone long term sick and I reckon I can survive until Oct (better than most in the country) but with 2 kids, mortgage, pcp payments etc and the chance of economic disaster beyond anything ever seen before - I couldn't of seen this tulip coming...
    It wasn't aimed as a dig, but the point is you are prepared. As am I. We didn't foresee *this*, but I did foresee a situation where I, as the sole breadwinner, can't work for 6 months or so.

And even to those who have sadly depleted their warchest, it still wasn't a dig. BUT, we do fall into a particular niche where we *are* the business. I hope we do get some help in some form but if you want protection as a worker, then you need to be a worker. And if you want to be treated like an employer, then you need to be an employer.

I suspect we possibly could claim salary (unless they ditch directors from it), but then everybody remembers that they're paying themselves the minimum. As am I - again, not a dig, but the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      It wasn't aimed as a dig, but the point is you are prepared. As am I. We didn't foresee *this*, but I did foresee a situation where I, as the sole breadwinner, can't work for 6 months or so.

And even to those who have sadly depleted their warchest, it still wasn't a dig. BUT, we do fall into a particular niche where we *are* the business. I hope we do get some help in some form but if you want protection as a worker, then you need to be a worker. And if you want to be treated like an employer, then you need to be an employer.

I suspect we possibly could claim salary (unless they ditch directors from it), but then everybody remembers that they're paying themselves the minimum. As am I - again, not a dig, but the reality.
      We are directors and employees of our own businesses. Do you use PAYE? Yes? Then how does this not apply to us?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Are you not a director of a company (an employee) who is paid via PAYE? I heard nothing to imply we would not qualify.
        Sure, it's aimed at us insofar as we are unable to work due to COVID-19. I am just saying that, insofar as there are loopholes for shenanigans, I wouldn't try them. You'd need to be unable to work and could claim only 80% of your PAYE salary, which is probably comparatively small, not dividends.

Comment

We are directors and employees of our own businesses. Do you use PAYE? Yes? Then how does this not apply to us?
          Do you have an employment contract? Do you get paid NMW (excluding dividends)? You are an office holder, not an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Sure, it's aimed at us insofar as we are unable to work due to COVID-19. I am just saying that, insofar as there are loopholes for shenanigans, I wouldn't try them. You'd need to be unable to work and could claim only 80% of your PAYE salary, which is probably comparatively small, not dividends.
            Where did it say we cannot give our self pay increases? Sorry HMRC do not and never do play fair, so I aint either. And if they have enough people to investigate the literally millions of people who will be scamming this, well good luck to them! How many will be suddenly employing every member of their family on £2500??

Do you have an employment contract? Do you get paid NMW (excluding dividends)? You are an office holder, not an employee.
            Yes, I'll create a contract for myself now and back date it. Remember how they like to back date things, well me too! If I'm not am employee why have I been forced to register for PAYE for my "employees" for my ltd company?
            Last edited by escapeUK; 20 March 2020, 19:30.

Comment

Yes, that part is unclear too, although I assume it's just PAYE earnings, not a formal contract of employment. Sunak was vague about this during the presser, but it sounded like they were taking a liberal interpretation w/r to contractual terms and using PAYE as the mechanism.

Comment

Where did it say we cannot give our self pay increases? Sorry HMRC do not and never do play fair, so I aint either. And if they have enough people to investigate the literally millions of people who will be scamming this, well good luck to them! How many will be suddenly employing every member of their family on £2500??
                I don't think that loophole will exist. It will probably be backwards looking. However, you sound like the sort of cretin that got caught up in Old Greg's Oude Joris Max 120.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  I don't think that loophole will exist. It will probably be backwards looking. However, you sound like the sort of cretin that got caught up in Old Greg's Oude Joris Max 120.
                  We'll see what happens. But if its even slightly legitimate to take advantage of this, I will be doing!

Theres a lot of victim complex here, that anything good can't possibly apply to us, and everything bad, well that's aimed at us. 20 years of IR35 I guess.

This money is to keep our society from self destructing, we are a part of that society.
                  Last edited by escapeUK; 20 March 2020, 19:53.

Comment

Here’s the bumph on gov.uk setting out their stall: COVID-19: support for businesses - GOV.UK

Comment

Support for businesses through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, all UK employers will be able to access support to continue paying part of their employees’ salary for those employees that would otherwise have been laid off during this crisis.
                      Eligibility

All UK businesses are eligible.

How to access the scheme

You will need to:

designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers,’ and notify your employees of this change - changing the status of employees remains subject to existing employment law and, depending on the employment contract, may be subject to negotiation
                      submit information to HMRC about the employees that have been furloughed and their earnings through a new online portal (HMRC will set out further details on the information required)

HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed workers wage costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. HMRC are working urgently to set up a system for reimbursement. Existing systems are not set up to facilitate payments to employers.
                      Last edited by escapeUK; 20 March 2020, 20:13.

Comment

Working...
                      X