• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to front 80% of wages up to £2500/month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    So er.... anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
    What I am thinking is that it's us contractors currently working who bail out the permies and the contractors not currently working are not getting any support.

The money will come:

A) from taxes we still are paying as contractors, either personally or via our Ltd

B) from printed money, which will cause inflation and reduce the real value of any money in our company bank account

Losex2

Meanwhile, permies in the scheme will not be contributing any tax, and will be receiving payments from this pot

Not sure if any contractor without work currently can benefit from this scheme... probably not, so it seems like unfair scheme

It's good they are trying to help people in need, but it doesn't seem they thought this well

Comment

Anything from IPSE published yet? I'm benched so not expecting anything but would be nice to have clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Loofah View Post
        Anything from IPSE published yet? I'm benched so not expecting anything but would be nice to have clarity.
        It would be nice to hear something other than “we call on the government to...”
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Just had this from Paystream:

“ We are still exploring this and working with the FCSA to explore all available options but currently it looks like umbrella workers are not included in the eligible population.”

If it’s possible for something to be astonishing and not surprising at the same time, this is it. It seems that we’re employees when it suits but not when it doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemetpl View Post
            Just had this from Paystream:

“ We are still exploring this and working with the FCSA to explore all available options but currently it looks like umbrella workers are not included in the eligible population.”

If it’s possible for something to be astonishing and not surprising at the same time, this is it. It seems that we’re employees when it suits but not when it doesn’t.
            Umbrella's can't afford to pay the other 20% ...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The 20% isn’t relevant as no employer is obliged to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemetpl View Post
                The 20% isn’t relevant as no employer is obliged to pay it.
                Is that confirmed? Not being a troll - when I looked there was very little in the way of technical advice

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Is that confirmed? Not being a troll - when I looked there was very little in the way of technical advice
                  There is no technical advice as things are being announced on the fly and implementing these systems are going to be a nightmare...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    I think Sunak said this during his speech on Friday but I could be wrong.

If umbrella contractors aren’t covered, I’m puzzled to what our status actually is. Are we employees or self employed?

Comment

Trade bodies plea for help for contractors and freelancers | Recruiter

But FCSA CEO Julia Kermode welcomed the chancellor’s move, which her organisation believes will also include the contractors that are engaged via compliant umbrellas who genuinely employ them.

Comment

Working...
                      X