• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I've got around 5 different credit cards and am wearing a facemark to protect me spreading germs. I sometimes use the companion card from my wife's account. I sometimes use a debit card. Or Apple Gap, or Google Pay, or Garmin Pay, each of which can come off a different card, or directly from my bank account.

Your "solution" is getting more expensive with every post But, I do accept you could come up with a solution that could catch the 80%.
    And you could get kids to go in and buy for you After all those years having to get them booze and fags, it's about time they did some of the leg work in picking up contraband packets of pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Different names on cards?
      Funnily enough, yes. I have multiple variants. I can think of at least 3:

"<first name> <last name>"
      "<first name> <middle name initial> <last name>"
      "<designation> <first name initial> <last name>"

Yes, these are similar, but do not provide a unique identification. You can can also have two people at the same address with the same name on different cards from different accounts.

Fingerprint scanners cheap enough to be in mobiles, no brainer to add them to Point of Sale terminals

Is it more expensive than chip and pin, or having economy shutdown for months because some a-holes keep violating sensible rules?
      I'm not saying there is a not a solution to track people - if there is the will, the money and the time. All I said was that "we can solve this easily with CCTV" (paraphrased) is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        And you could get kids to go in and buy for you After all those years having to get them booze and fags, it's about time they did some of the leg work in picking up contraband packets of pasta.
        Buy with what, your card that only works in cardholder present situations only on one day in a week?

Anyway, crafty violators of this regime, smartarses blabbering about liberty - all drafted to help in a local hospital to help deal with bodies of those who died. That should work.

Comment

Nurses should have been put in nearby hotels (which are empty anyway), get full food there etc - this would have reduced possible exposure to virus of their families.
          Then we would designate hotel staff as key-workers and so they would have to go to work?

Would the hotel staff also stay in the hotel or would they go home of an evening?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Then we would designate hotel staff as key-workers and so they would have to go to work?

Would the hotel staff also stay in the hotel or would they go home of an evening?
            Staying in hotel for the duration - on double salaries, with big bonus when situation is back to normal. Same for Nhs staff, police - people who really do crazy risky work.

Comment

Funnily enough, yes. I have multiple variants. I can think of at least 3:

"<first name> <last name>"
              "<first name> <middle name initial> <last name>"
              "<designation> <first name initial> <last name>"

Yes, these are similar, but do not provide a unique identification. You can can also have two people at the same address with the same name on different cards from different accounts.

I'm not saying there is a not a solution to track people - if there is the will, the money and the time. All I said was that "we can solve this easily with CCTV" (paraphrased) is wrong.
              And your choice is not to use available tools?

Comment

And your choice is not to use available tools?
                No. I'm simply pointing out that "we can track everyone with CCTV" is wrong. It's all rather moot anyway.

Comment

No. I'm simply pointing out that "we can track everyone with CCTV" is wrong. It's all rather moot anyway.
                  90% should be good enough to cut R to below 1.

Comment

can be enforced by card acquirer.
                    No it can't. Credit card authorisation doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                      No it can't. Credit card authorisation doesn't work that way.
                      Yes it does - bank who issued the card says yeah or nay, they got name/address.

Comment

Working...
                      X