• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronovirus - Do You Think Your Government is Doing a Good Job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    The right-wing press agree but then you wouldn't expect anything else from those toadies.
    The Wail is clearly a left wing rag now....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Ah yes. While browsing elsewhere I saw the gist of your posts. The economic damage is not worth the government response? Is that fair?

The NHS was at breaking point before the crisis. Prior to your return, there were a few threads about this very subject and the worth of a human.

Maybe ANYONE who needs intensive care should be left to die(with as much painkillers as necessary)? And certain sections of the population should be sterilized? I appreciate I have gone to extremes there. But as soon as you go down that path, the question is where you stop.

Personally I find life thoroughly miserable and can't wait for it to be over. The majority of people don't feel like that and will do anything to hang onto life.

Equally though, the current economic damage isvery vey bad. There are no easy answers.

As Ziggy says, the government is broadly right and we have to suck it up.....
      I certainly have never said the economic damage is not worth the government response, I think the opposite actually.

However, if dealt with earlier the economic damage would have been less in the longer term.
      The Government, whoever is in, is set up for short termism anyway, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised with what we are seeing now.
      Unfortunately this now looks to roll, on and on.

I'm genuinely sorry, if you are currently miserable, I consider myself lucky I don't suffer in a similar way, although I have had a few friends that have
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The economic damage is not worth the government response? Is that fair?

The NHS was at breaking point before the crisis. Prior to your return, there were a few threads about this very subject and the worth of a human.

Maybe ANYONE who needs intensive care should be left to die(with as much painkillers as necessary)? And certain sections of the population should be sterilized? I appreciate I have gone to extremes there. But as soon as you go down that path, the question is where you stop.

Personally I find life thoroughly miserable and can't wait for it to be over. The majority of people don't feel like that and will do anything to hang onto life.

Equally though, the current economic damage is very very bad. There are no easy answers.
        This ....

It's not often I agree with Ziggy, but here I do. problem is, we're all armchair experts, and we all know that if we were in charge we'd be so much better.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          I certainly have never said the economic damage is not worth the government response, I think the opposite actually.
          Then I apologise. Maybe the government should acted earlier - and it certainly needs more focus on testing. BUt the UK is still doing far more than Sweden. Or America. It will be interesting to see how Sweden goes. Well, interesting is probably the wrong word.

As from me, I think I will recover when my case against HMRC is sorted. 12 years now - and still no end in sight! But I don't "internalize my stress" - which is probably a good thing. Though I have to be careful, yesterday I got two CUK infractions! Even if one was for 0 points, and the other for MAMIL points.....

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            This ....

It's not often I agree with Ziggy, but here I do. problem is, we're all armchair experts, and we all know that if we were in charge we'd be so much better.
            Very good point. Harry hindsight is always right.

Though you might like this article: -
            Man who spent entire Brexit period saying economic forecasts are ‘just guesses’ now wants to let old people die because of economic forecasts

Comment

As from me, I think I will recover when my case against HMRC is sorted. 12 years now - and still no end in sight!
              Just a friendly suggestion. Time to let this go perhaps?

I wouldn't want my health dependent on the outcome of a dispute with HMRC. That's the sort of thing you could take with you to your grave.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I wouldn't want my health dependent on the outcome of a dispute with HMRC. That's the sort of thing you could take with you to your grave.
                To be fair 12 years is far too long, I wouldn't want that weight on my shoulders, day to day.
                Difficult/impossible to let go I would imagine.

The thing is these schemes were endorsed by HMRC and various senior legal professionals, at the time, as legit. The amount of related suicides is clear evidence this should have been handled very differently.

Retrospective taxation is wrong, in these circumstances, especially when the people running the schemes continue to get off scot free.

Unfortunately some of the medical professionals currently being worked to the bone are going to be the new oven ready victims of all this.

HMRC have blood on their hands over the whole affair, imo.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ah yes. While browsing elsewhere I saw the gist of your posts. The economic damage is not worth the government response? Is that fair?

Equally though, the current economic damage isvery vey bad. There are no easy answers.

You should read the Toby Young take on all this

spending £350 billion to prolong the lives of a few hundred thousand mostly elderly people is an irresponsible use of taxpayers’ money.
                  Quite incredible, really.

Comment

If I lose, I will go bankrupt.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
                      You should read the Toby Young take on all this

Quite incredible, really.
                      Unfortunately I did
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X