Face masks Face masks - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do face masks reduce spread of infection in the general population?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course they do, it's a no brainer, common sense.

7 33.33%
  • Not really. It's just a way people feel more secure.

11 52.38%
  • AndyW's mum demands a gimp suit at all times

3 14.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Face masks

More time posting than coding

rogerfederer 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    However, viruses can easily land on your eyes and enter your tear ducts, go to your throat and down your lungs. Full filtered goggles are required.

It only takes one virus to enter your lungs to get infected.
    I agree and understand that too, but I think the question was about minimisation and it's thought that the airborne or close contact method is more likely, plus hands touching the face and transferring the virus to the mouth/eyes/nose, even hours after you first touched your face and then rub it into your eye for example.

The easiest thing to do is keep exercise to isolated areas and avoid shops entirely, although the delivery people are likely infected too given their younger age and the volume of things they touch throughout the day.

More time posting than coding

tazdevil has more data than eek

Default Face masks

If we're told to wear face masks where are they coming from? Single use for a limited period to cover a population of 70+ million equates to multi millions a day. And do they work, probably not. The medical grade masks that may stop the virus particles for a limited period aren't going to be available for us mere mortals at an affordable cost and in the quantities required. Any other type will have no effect what so ever. And more people will get the virus because they'll feel safe with a mask which doesn't work. 5 minutes of wet breath and even effective ones aren't anymore and the majority can't stop the virus particles they're so small. People won't fit them properly and coughing into your own face will get very annoying after a short while

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is always on top

Be creative man!

Contractor Among Contractors

sal 's job has never been outsourced

We got 20 masks from Screwfix at the start of the panic buying. Used about 5 thus far, keeping the used ones in a sealed bag, supposedly the virus dies in 2-3 days on it's own so they are self-sterilizing sort of speak.

The main goal of using low grade masks by the public is not so much to stop you from inhaling the virus particles, as much as stopping you from spreading them through coughs and simple exhalation or at the very least significantly reduce the amount/range of the spread.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    The main goal of using low grade masks by the public is not so much to stop you from inhaling the virus particles, as much as stopping you from spreading them through coughs and simple exhalation or at the very least significantly reduce the amount/range of the spread.
    This is the bit that so many don't get (and when they do, they'll be up in arms about wearing masks if it's only to protect "OTHERS")

For decades, the Japanese have worn masks when they feel unwell to protect others. It's the civilised thing to do.

Wearing a basic mask will protect others. Not going out will protect them even more.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is always on top

We had a box arrive from China a couple of days ago and another package is on it's way. Also have washable ones which I picked up at a shop this week and have a couple of Morfs which are washable:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Scoobos has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    We had a box arrive from China a couple of days ago and another package is on it's way. Also have washable ones which I picked up at a shop this week and have a couple of Morfs which are washable:

If they are N95 or 99 grade, you really ought to be taking them to the people who can actually get decent and appropriate use out of them.

I reckon a bedside nurse , care home worker, or doctor could make better use than we can going to the supermarket for a crate of beer and nibbles.

Scoobos has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    If we're told to wear face masks where are they coming from? Single use for a limited period to cover a population of 70+ million equates to multi millions a day. And do they work, probably not. The medical grade masks that may stop the virus particles for a limited period aren't going to be available for us mere mortals at an affordable cost and in the quantities required. Any other type will have no effect what so ever. And more people will get the virus because they'll feel safe with a mask which doesn't work. 5 minutes of wet breath and even effective ones aren't anymore and the majority can't stop the virus particles they're so small. People won't fit them properly and coughing into your own face will get very annoying after a short while
    The argument is that its to protect others from yourself, if you are mildly affected or asymptomatic (though if you are asymptomatic, I've always wondered why you'd be contagious in an airborne way, as you're not coughing or sneezing)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobos View Post
    If they are N95 or 99 grade, you really ought to be taking them to the people who can actually get decent and appropriate use out of them.

I reckon a bedside nurse , care home worker, or doctor could make better use than we can going to the supermarket for a crate of beer and nibbles.

Washable won't be FFP2 or FFP3 compliant (We're in the UK, not using US codes!)
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobos View Post
    though if you are asymptomatic, I've always wondered why you'd be contagious in an airborne way, as you're not coughing or sneezing
    Because even in "normal" breathing there can be aerosols generated, also if you're wearing a mask, you won't be touching your mouth with your hands, so you won't be leaving a trail everywhere you touch.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music