• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fruit Pickers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Dunno. Does he know what a fruit looks like?
    The old man is happy with minimum wage to get down on his hands and knees for some fruit approaching its use by date.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      No, I implied UK students were too lazy to pick fruit.

Please learn to read/comprehend. Not all students in the UK are British. Stop with the casual racism please.

Its a continuous slur from the left who say we have to import Eastern Europeans to do the job Brits wont do.

I'm just trying to explain its a financial decision people don't want the jobs because they are seasonal and relatively poorly paid for the effort involved.

I tried to add students so you understood even motivated people didn't want to fruit pick.

Odd students tend to work quite hard at menial jobs in my experience. I for one cleaned toilets and worked in restaurants to pay for college. My Daughters work in a chip shop while at UNI. Maybe you don't know any hard working students? I do notice many of the jobs that used to be taken by students are now done by Eastern Europeans. I wonder why?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

it is of course a global problem few farmers are willing to pay enough, the answer of course is to mechanise:

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Mr Pitzer says two thirds of the country's strawberry production is backing the move to mechanisation."Growers advertise and pay a lot of money - a good picker can make $30 (£22) an hour [in Florida]; in California it's $50 an hour," he says.
        But they still can't recruit enough workers.
        "People like to say if you paid them more they'd do the job, but it's just not true. We know in future that labour won't be available."
        Don't know about you, I would prefer to pick strawberries in California sunshine for £40 an hour than £9 in rainy Norfolk.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Erm, students are not a race.
          no but "Brits too lazy to fruit pick" are
          Erm "Brits too lazy to fruit pick" isn't a race either.

In the late 80's students used to pick fruit. I remember avoiding it by getting a summer job programming.
          Its a continuous slur from the left who say we have to import Eastern Europeans to do the job Brits wont do.
          Well that's not true. It's a slur from the right and the liberals as well. You're just leftist.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

it is of course a global problem few farmers are willing to pay enough, the answer of course is to mechanise:

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Don't know about you, I would prefer to pick strawberries in California sunshine for £40 an hour than £9 in rainy Norfolk.
            I wonder if the low wages are also partly due to supermarkets driving down the price of produce and people being so used to cheap food that they won't actually pay the true cost of its production. Similar happens in the dairy industry.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I wonder if the low wages are also partly due to supermarkets driving down the price of produce and people being so used to cheap food that they won't actually pay the true cost of its production. Similar happens in the dairy industry.

oh yes combine this with not going mechanised and its pretty much the industries fault.

Comment

oh yes combine this with not going mechanised and its pretty much the industries fault.
                That's not what I said. Well done for coming to your very own, special conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                X