• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Wave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I just bought a ton of nicotine gum just incase....
    Poopsies is shorting it in a bold contrarian move.

Comment

I just bought a ton of nicotine gum just incase....
      Scooty called this .... well, he'll post a graph later telling us to buy BAT and he'll draw a random line upwards to support his narrative.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Scooty called this .... well, he'll post a graph later telling us to buy BAT and he'll draw a random line upwards to support his narrative.
        In reality, he's picked up enough loose change from the pavement to buy a pack of Dunhill from the Thistle bar vending machine.

Comment

Here's a question or two .......

1) Aren't many people poo-pooing herd immunity as a stupid idea? Yet herd immunity is based in a large part on the assumption that once someone has been infected by the virus, they have anti-bodies, and so they can't be re-infected

2) Vaccines 'fool' the body into thinking it has been infected by the virus and then the body creates anti-bodies that stop the person being infected in future

Surely if 2) is possible so is 1)? And all those who argued that Boris and pals following 1) were idiots, should now be arguing that 2) is not possible.

Discuss (if you can be @rsed!)

Comment

1) Aren't many people poo-pooing herd immunity as a stupid idea? Yet herd immunity is based in a large part on the assumption that once someone has been infected by the virus, they have anti-bodies, and so they can't be re-infected

2) Vaccines 'fool' the body into thinking it has been infected by the virus and then the body creates anti-bodies that stop the person being infected in future

Surely if 2) is possible so is 1)? And all those who argued that Boris and pals following 1) were idiots, should now be arguing that 2) is not possible.

Can't be @rsed, but I do think Boris is a useless bumbling tw@t if that helps?

Comment

Herd immunity is a good strategy if to be achieved by vaccination, not if to be achieved by everyone getting sick. Health systems would collapse under the latter approach.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

No new drugs were ever developed in the old Soviet Union, AFAIK.
                To be fair, the Russkies were at the forefront of bacteriophage research back in the USSR days.

Although a niche treatment, I believe it is very effective in certain cases, and natural bacteriophage viruses kill most cholera bacteria in Asian rivers.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Can't be @rsed, but I do think Boris is a useless bumbling tw@t if that helps?
                  Good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Herd immunity is a good strategy if to be achieved by vaccination, not if to be achieved by everyone getting sick. Health systems would collapse under the latter approach.
                    The fact that this "strategy" (which stinks of Dominic Cummings) was considered at all seriously should mean that Whitty and his sidekick, Vallance (yes-men both, I know the latter from GSK) should be sacked.
                    It's lucky that Neill Ferguson, and his colleagues at Imperial, were so appalled that they produced their seminal and influential paper, written mainly over the weekend of mid March.
                    And lucky that his influence was such that there was a complete U-turn of policy.
                    It's a scandal that the vast majority of the Uk is completely unaware of - the 2 week delay before lockdown while "herd immunity" was actually the proposed plan has no doubt resulted in many more deaths than were necessary.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 23 April 2020, 13:49.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      The fact that this "strategy" (which stinks of Dominic Cummings) was considered at all seriously should mean that Whitty and his sidekick, Vallance (yes-men both) should be sacked.
                      It's lucky that Neill Ferguson, and his colleagues at Imperial, were so appalled that they produced their seminal and influential paper, written mainly over the weekend of mid March.
                      It's a scandal that the vast majority of the Uk is completely unaware of.

Originally posted by Michael Gove
                      People in this country have had enough of experts.
                      In fact I'd say they're almost sick to death.

Comment

Working...
                      X