Sit Back and Relax. We're Here for at least a Year Sit Back and Relax. We're Here for at least a Year - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 24

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.
    Please share the summary...

More time posting than coding

AnthonyQuinn is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I think (and hope) it will all be over a lot quicker without using a vaccine, based on everything I've read on the science side.
    as in, we will all be dead?

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Well, they've set new record now - not working and getting paid, try to beat that Labour!

Labour's last bailout, the financial crash of 2008-2009 was a lot larger than that of Sunak's for COVID....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Contractor Among Contractors

Cirrus 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Labour's last bailout, the financial crash of 2008-2009 was a lot larger than that of Sunak's for COVID....
    The Tories (not really any of the current Cabinet idiots) had sufficient warning of the threat of a pandemic but deliberately left us exposed. They should be out chucked out of power for a generation.

However it is equally true that Labour (eg the Treasury) were fully aware of impending financial disaster but did nothing. They should be chucked out of power for a generation as well. (I suspect it will be longer in their case).
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

More time posting than coding

krytonsheep is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Please share the summary...
    Human viruses conceptually aren't that different to a computer virus. For the Sars-Cov-2 you can literally download the 'code' as a file.
    Like a virus made by some hardcore hackers, the way viruses work in general are pretty complex. Sars-Cov-2 in particular in certain situations has the ability to 'hide' from the anti-virus software ( immune system) with a cloaking mechanism.

The code can be processed to work out what it looks like and how it's interacting with the host. With that they can work out what existing drugs will target it (or develop new ones). Just like a computer virus, there's many points where it can be stopped or slowed down.

Analysis of therapeutic targets for SARS-CoV-2 and discovery of potential drugs by computational methods - ScienceDirect

There's currently 600+ trials running around the world to see which drugs work the best.

https://covid19-trials.org/

This is quite a good NHS page that tries to disseminate key information about what's going on ( only has a few trials mentioned though).
    COVID-19 research briefing - University of Birmingham

For any drugs showing promise, companies are typically ramping up production already.
    Last edited by krytonsheep; 23rd April 2020 at 09:20. Reason: added trials link

Nervous Newbie

GmartSuy has no reputation

I suppose this just means more thresholds to how many allowed in a particular place at any one time with the exception of schools.

AtW is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Current bailout has nit even started yet

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump;Press Conference Today
    We’re very close to a vaccine
    Followed directly with:

Quote Originally Posted by Tonald Drump;Press Conference Today
    We’re not close on testing
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

d000hg - scorchio!

FAirly relaxed distancing would still have quite an impact, but they seem fairly clear it's not going to be business as normal for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Fingers like lightning

BigRed is a permanent contractor

I'm confident our brilliant rail service will be able to cope with social distancing