• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When lockdown is lifted is anyone planning to return to the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If it were a few weeks sure. If it's months then HR and TPS-obsessed line-managers might think they can do their 'work' remotely. Get everyone to install spyware and key-loggers to check you're working enough.

Saw this: Barclays boss: Big offices 'may be a thing of the past' - BBC News
    On corporate kit, they can do that anyway. All the more reason, as a contractor, to insist on using your own equipment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      On corporate kit, they can do that anyway. All the more reason, as a contractor, to insist on using your own equipment
      They might insist you install it. Or at the very least, use time-tracking software - like Upwork, if you're familiar with it.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        I don't dispute that your brother in law is witnessing tragedy on a daily basis. It's unfortunate.

I just think your anger/fear is misplaced. If you really think there is a problem with government policy then talk about government policy. There is plenty to criticise there.
        ).
        I’d be careful not to set an example in the workplace as well. People that are vulnerable might feel left out, afraid to loose their job, they might come in even if they otherwise shouldn’t.
        The boss if isn’t a soulless c***, should not encourage people to come in... but we all know how that works.
        People shouldn’t feel any pressure to return to the workplace, or shouldn’t be made to feel vulnerable because of personal matters they cannot talk about.
        If you are doing IT work there are practically no reasons why the job could not be done remotely.

How the people in charge will be managing this crisis would be an good lesson of division and false “care” works in this society, hopefully it will wake up some people to ask for what they deserve.

I was at a barbecue a week before the lockdown and was chatting with some acquaintance , similar brash types, proud of their existence as corporate stooges. They couldn’t conceive a lockdown being put in place, they played with some high ideas of how the british are different than italians and that it won’t happen here. At some point they accused me of being somehow weak and afraid of dying.
        I was a bit drunk so openly said that I would rather have a quick death than the next 30y as a meaningless corporate suit.
        Some of them avoided me the rest of that night and I am glad if they still do when we meet next time.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          I’d be careful not to set an example in the workplace as well. People that are vulnerable might feel left out, afraid to loose their job, they might come in even if they otherwise shouldn’t.
          The boss if isn’t a soulless c***, should not encourage people to come in... but we all know how that works.
          People shouldn’t feel any pressure to return to the workplace, or shouldn’t be made to feel vulnerable because of personal matters they cannot talk about.
          If you are doing IT work there are practically no reasons why the job could not be done remotely.

How the people in charge will be managing this crisis would be an good lesson of division and false “care” works in this society, hopefully it will wake up some people to ask for what they deserve.

I was at a barbecue a week before the lockdown and was chatting with some acquaintance , similar brash types, proud of their existence as corporate stooges. They couldn’t conceive a lockdown being put in place, they played with some high ideas of how the british are different than italians and that it won’t happen here. At some point they accused me of being somehow weak and afraid of dying.
          I was a bit drunk so openly said that I would rather have a quick death than the next 30y as a meaningless corporate suit.
          Some of them avoided me the rest of that night and I am glad if they still do when we meet next time.
          Cool story bro.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If I wasn't 32, in perfect health with no at-risk persons in my household, and with a work environment/commute that is set up in a way that I can be safe maybe i would feel differently.
            The myth needs urgent dispelling. Heath and youth are not the barrier to surviving infection as was paddled around the media in the early days.

Why does Covid-19 kill some young, healthy people—and spare others?

Health experts aren't sure why some otherwise healthy, young people are suddenly dying of Covid-19, but they do have some theories.

One theory is that some people are genetically predisposed to developing more severe cases of Covid-19 than others. For example, Philip Murphy, a biomedical researcher at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Science Magazine's Jocelyn Kaiser that variations in a person's ACE2 gene receptor potentially "could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into lung cells."

Michael Skinner, a virologist at Imperial College London, said he believes it's "very possible that some of us could have a particular genetic makeup that makes it more likely that we will respond badly to an infection with this coronavirus."
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

6 pages in and no AndyW option added...

Standards are slipping.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                6 pages in and no AndyW option added...

Standards are slipping.
                You're physically returning to work up AndyW's Mum as soon as the lockdown is over.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  The myth needs urgent dispelling. Heath and youth are not the barrier to surviving infection as was paddled around the media in the early days.

Why does Covid-19 kill some young, healthy people—and spare others?
                  What myth are you dispelling? and how are you dispelling it without providing any data?

I never made a claim that a single 32 year old healthy male hasn't died from covid-19.

I made a claim that I am totally fine with the level of risk associated with my particular circumstances. I didn't even quantify my risk so how can you even dispute that it's inaccurate first of all?

You don't even know what you're arguing about.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Yeah I think that's fair enough. I think a lot of you are having a really hard time understanding we don't all work in the same environment.

A lot of us can go into the office without putting anyone else at risk.

I don't think you're weak for staying home. I don't think anyone is weak for staying home. Everyone has different circumstances. If I had to take the tube or a crowded train to get to work I probably wouldn't take the risk. If I had to interact in close contact with people i probably wouldn't take the risk. If I didn't have more control over my work environment I probably wouldn't take the risk. If I was older or had health issues or was overweight, etc, etc, etc I probably wouldn't take the risk.

We are not all the same.

Comment

What myth are you dispelling? and how are you dispelling it without providing any data?

I never made a claim that a single 32 year old healthy male hasn't died from covid-19.

I made a claim that I am totally fine with the level of risk associated with my particular circumstances. I didn't even quantify my risk so how can you even dispute that it's inaccurate first of all?

You don't even know what you're arguing about.
                      I'm very glad that you're happy to take the risk to yourself. Less so that you're happy to take the risk of passing it to others.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X