Racists' Anger Matters Racists' Anger Matters - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    What exactly do the racists want, apart from nothing to change?

    It seems to me all the black protesters are asking is to be treated equally. To see the person and not the skin colour. That's a pretty basic request and something we all the power to do.

    They also ask that history be properly explained and we don't revere certain people (mostly Victorians but others too) who may have done some good but also had some (arguably) racist views. Don't forget, many of these kind, generous, altruistic rich white men could only be so by exploiting/trading slaves.

    History is very rarely simple but many of these statues only have plaques explaining the good but no reference to the bad. Probably time we took some of these old statues down and put them in a museum where we can properly explain the person, warts and all.

    Some of that seems perfectly reasonable. In fact equality is already required by law, the country is changing slowly.


    Pity whenever they see oppression they only see the skin colour.

    White man (well two white, one black & an Asian) restrains someone Black (admittedly brutally and fatally) and its racist. We still don't know, there is a suggestion from a witness that Chauvin knew Floyd from the nightclub they both worked at and they didn't like each other.

    White police officer restrains someone black and the suspect's black mates put the boot in and no mention of race.

    You know the slave trade was legal and we stopped it?

    Agree adding plaques would be a good way to explain the history. Teaching history truthfully would be good as well. Blaming the white man for all slavery is not the truth as it is as old as the hills.
    Last edited by vetran; 11th June 2020 at 12:25.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  2. #42

    Super poster

    Whorty - scorchio!

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    4,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Some of that seems perfectly reasonable. In fact equality is already required by law, the country is changing slowly.


    Pity whenever they see oppression they only see the skin colour.

    White man (well two white, one black & an Asian) restrains someone Black (admittedly brutally and fatally) and its racist. We still don't know, there is a suggestion from a witness that Chauvin knew Floyd from the nightclub they both worked at and they didn't like each other.

    White police officer restrains someone black and the suspect's black mates put the boot in and no mention of race.

    You know the slave trade was legal and we stopped it?

    Agree adding plaques would be a good way to explain the history. Teaching history truthfully would be good as well. Blaming the white man for all slavery is not the truth as it is as old as the hills.
    Again, I don't believe anyone is saying 'only' white men were involved in the slave trade. And yes, we did eventually stop it but not before the likes of Bristol and London grew wealthy from it. In the UK though we only have statues and plaques praising those who made their fortune (or inherited it) through the slave trade; other countries (think Stone Town Slave market, Zanzibar in Tanzania) haven't hidden from their past but have explained it and have museums to it, to hopefully show how awful it was. Maybe Bristol needs a slave museum so visitors can understand how many black lives helped to build that city!

    Re George Floyd, that death may not be 100% race motivated, but what it was, was another example of US police brutality resulting in a black man's death. And not just that, but we all heard him begging for his life, and we all saw him die and the police did nothing to help. I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back and resonated with so many black men who have been treated similarly. As a white man I've never had to face such prejudice, I'm lucky. But, luck shouldn't have to come into it - all people should be treated equally irrespective of skin colour. This is a basic fundamental and surely something we can achieve in our lifetime in Britain?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

  3. #43

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    Again, I don't believe anyone is saying 'only' white men were involved in the slave trade. And yes, we did eventually stop it but not before the likes of Bristol and London grew wealthy from it. In the UK though we only have statues and plaques praising those who made their fortune (or inherited it) through the slave trade; other countries (think Stone Town Slave market, Zanzibar in Tanzania) haven't hidden from their past but have explained it and have museums to it, to hopefully show how awful it was. Maybe Bristol needs a slave museum so visitors can understand how many black lives helped to build that city!

    Re George Floyd, that death may not be 100% race motivated, but what it was, was another example of US police brutality resulting in a black man's death. And not just that, but we all heard him begging for his life, and we all saw him die and the police did nothing to help. I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back and resonated with so many black men who have been treated similarly. As a white man I've never had to face such prejudice, I'm lucky. But, luck shouldn't have to come into it - all people should be treated equally irrespective of skin colour. This is a basic fundamental and surely something we can achieve in our lifetime in Britain?
    Bristol museums educating people about Bristol's part in the slave trade what a good idea!

    https://lmgtfy.com/?q=slave+museum+b...e=search&ovr=1

    This is rather interesting, also have a peek at the bottom of the page.

    Bristol & the Transatlantic Slave Trade: Myths & Truths | Stories | Bristol Museums

    It has resources for schools, books and the opportunity for the public to contribute. Maybe they will respond to your input?


    OK now I agree your explanation of it being the straw that broke the Camels back seems reasonable. However it has been weaponised as usual. Mr Floyd was hardly a saint yet he is being painted as one. Mr Chauvin appears not to be the devil but they are painting horns on him.

    Lets bring the other incidents and issues out and talk about those so we can solve them. Slavery ended 150 years ago when we realised it was very wrong and legislated against it. I think its time to take a leaf out of the Holocaust survivors and rebuild lives after it.

    Each community has their own problems and the Black community needs to fix theirs. Defining what happens to them as always racially motivated seems to be one.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  4. #44

    More time posting than coding

    tazdevil has more data than eek

    tazdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    What exactly do the racists want, apart from nothing to change?

    It seems to me all the black protesters are asking is to be treated equally. To see the person and not the skin colour. That's a pretty basic request and something we all the power to do.
    Haven't a clue what racists want because I don't know any. I know people who have an aversion to others but not normally because of the colour of their skin although cultural differences do cause division.

    No problem with people being treated equally, it's what we should all do. We shouldn't indulge in unequal treatment either in a positive or negative way because all discrimination is bad whatever the sentiment behind it. However some people need to realise that they don't get stuff not because of discrimination but because they don't fit in some way such as the lads turned away from the night club for wearing the wrong shoes or northern people being despised by southerners and vice versa

  5. #45

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,933

    Default

    Another typical thread implying that anyone who does not completely agree with the BLM/Antifa approach is racist.

    Even a poll by the Daily Express showed a majority of their right-leaning readers did not think Colston's statues should have been on public display. Think most on the right of centre are ok with removal of public memorials to slave traders or people like Rhodes who vigorously pursued colonialism to impose the rule of an Anglo Saxon race he believed to be superior.

    However, they do not agree with removing or defacing statues of people like Churchill or Nelson just because they may have had some racist views. No human is perfect, they are rightly honoured for what they did.

    The most idiotic thing is the idea that a whole host of streets should be renamed just because they may have had some racist associations from centuries ago. What is the point of dragging up racist issues from the far past that hardly anyone is even aware of? Surely better to concentrate on today's problems. And what about the inconvenience to residents, having to notify every authority, company and person on their list? Could be very significant costs for businesses and presumably the Post Office and other delivery companies will have to allow for a wrong name for years.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  6. #46

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Another typical thread implying that anyone who does not completely agree with the BLM/Antifa approach is racist.

    Even a poll by the Daily Express showed a majority of their right-leaning readers did not think Colston's statues should have been on public display. Think most on the right of centre are ok with removal of public memorials to slave traders or people like Rhodes who vigorously pursued colonialism to impose the rule of an Anglo Saxon race he believed to be superior.

    However, they do not agree with removing or defacing statues of people like Churchill or Nelson just because they may have had some racist views. No human is perfect, they are rightly honoured for what they did.

    The most idiotic thing is the idea that a whole host of streets should be renamed just because they may have had some racist associations from centuries ago. What is the point of dragging up racist issues from the far past that hardly anyone is even aware of? Surely better to concentrate on today's problems. And what about the inconvenience to residents, having to notify every authority, company and person on their list? Could be very significant costs for businesses and presumably the Post Office and other delivery companies will have to allow for a wrong name for years.
    Another xoggy strawman post. I don't completely agree with the BLM/Antifa approach, but I'm not trying to imply that I'm a racist.

    Next!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  7. #47

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    35,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Another typical thread implying that anyone who does not completely agree with the BLM/Antifa approach is racist.

    Even a poll by the Daily Express showed a majority of their right-leaning readers did not think Colston's statues should have been on public display. Think most on the right of centre are ok with removal of public memorials to slave traders or people like Rhodes who vigorously pursued colonialism to impose the rule of an Anglo Saxon race he believed to be superior.
    I would be quite happy with a plaque explaining. The person may be bad by current standards but in the times he lived he was a leading light. We should call this out and explain what they did wrong and what right.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #48

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,933

    Default

    I don't completely agree with the BLM/Antifa approach, but I'm not trying to imply that I'm a racist
    Difficult for anyone with any sense to put any other interpretation on your post. You needn't bother to reply, you are on my ignore list.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  9. #49

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Difficult for anyone with any sense to put any other interpretation on your post. You needn't bother to reply, you are on my ignore list.
    Do you know anyone with sense to ask, because you're clearly incapable of basic reasoning?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •