• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

teachers getting a pay rise -- thanks for nothing :laugh:laugh:laugh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Being a teacher is currently effectively a minimum wage job. I'd like to see anyone here working 60 hours a week.

Used to, don't now. I worked out how to deliver more than they expected in less time. Maybe teachers need to work on that.

Also if you have 13 weeks of holiday and finish at 3:30 its an interesting conundrum to suggest you are working 60 hours a week. Some of my family were teachers and they were always the ones with spare time.

Some of my wife's customers are teachers and they are the ones that arrive at 3:45 pm the ones in the private sector or health care arrive at 6:15 pm.

according to the beeb

What hours do teachers really work? - BBC News

Teaching hours are a minority of a teachers' workload, according to this survey. A primary school teacher will spend on average 19 hours a week of timetabled teaching. It's similar for secondary school classroom teachers, averaging 19.6 hours.Secondary school head teachers have much lower levels of classroom time, at 2.8 hours per week.
    Outside of this there will be time spent in school for lesson preparation, marking, supervising children away from the class and carrying out any other administration.
    OK so 19 hours actually teaching.

So we have lesson preparation surely that is something that should be centralised as we have a national curriculum? Maybe a tool to create the basic bones of a lesson online and the teacher adds a personal touch where needed. Maybe get the teachers at the top schools to share their skills, we could even use educational experts to make sure the lessons reach the target audience based on science not something brewed up by a teacher in their garden shed?

Marking - well Microsoft & CCNE are world experts at creating marking exams electronically, maybe automate a lot of that? Or outsource it? My kids use MyMaths it seems to work well.

At secondary school we marked each others paper at the start of the lesson. Possibly a bit of a challenge with essays but as they too are formulaic but until degree level it could be computerised.

The biggest cause of unnecessary paperwork, the teachers reported, was preparing for an Ofsted inspection. Head teachers also identified changing government policies and guidelines as generating "unnecessary" bureaucracy.
    Strange as Ofsted expect you to live your policies not fake it when they come. Or at least that is what Ofsted inspectors tell child minders. Most of the policies seem sensible to me.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Used to, don't now. I worked out how to deliver more than they expected in less time. Maybe teachers need to work on that.

Also if you have 13 weeks of holiday and finish at 3:30 its an interesting conundrum to suggest you are working 60 hours a week. Some of my family were teachers and they were always the ones with spare time.

Some of my wife's customers are teachers and they are the ones that arrive at 3:45 pm the ones in the private sector or health care arrive at 6:15 pm.

according to the beeb

What hours do teachers really work? - BBC News

OK so 19 hours actually teaching.

So we have lesson preparation surely that is something that should be centralised as we have a national curriculum? Maybe a tool to create the basic bones of a lesson online and the teacher adds a personal touch where needed. Maybe get the teachers at the top schools to share their skills, we could even use educational experts to make sure the lessons reach the target audience based on science not something brewed up by a teacher in their garden shed?

Marking - well Microsoft & CCNE are world experts at creating marking exams electronically, maybe automate a lot of that? Or outsource it? My kids use MyMaths it seems to work well.

At secondary school we marked each others paper at the start of the lesson. Possibly a bit of a challenge with essays but as they too are formulaic but until degree level it could be computerised.

Strange as Ofsted expect you to live your policies not fake it when they come. Or at least that is what Ofsted inspectors tell child minders. Most of the policies seem sensible to me.
      I think I would know better than you, what it is like given that I have immediate family who are teachers. Just saying things like 'finish at 3:30' makes you sound like a delusional idiot. I do not and have never known any teachers that start at 9 and finish 3.30. It it most likely a 7.30/8 start and 4.30/5 finish with 1-2 hours marking per night and weekend work.

Teachers already do use existing material to prepare for lessons. That does not come for free - you still have to put the time in to make the lessons (powerpoints etc) individually tailored to the children in the class. Again more nonsense.

Automated marking? Ok, I rest my case. You are a complete ******* idiot. Why are you even posting bulltulip like this when you are clearly completely detached from reality? My wife buys pencils and pens for her pupils because the school has no money and some kids come from low income families and you are talking about computerised marking.

Comment

It isn’t great for mental health to read about pay rises for some government employees and feel bitter about it. Just concentrate on getting yourself a fat hike in your day rate and open a bottle of champagne. Job done.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          It isn’t great for mental health to read about pay rises for some government employees and feel bitter about it. Just concentrate on getting yourself a fat hike in your day rate and open a bottle of champagne. Job done.
          Hard to think that way when you're worried about George Soros's white genocide conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            I think about 2 months. But there has been other work involved like keeping the school open for children of key workers, department meetings and provide predicted grades for all students as exams are cancelled.
            Thanks for answering I'm actually pro teachers despite a number failing me at school. I don't however agree they are as badly off or as hard working as they make out.

ok so we are on day 120 of lockdown so no teaching for 60 days.

The key workers were 10-20% of children, I have talked to some of their mothers and no teaching was done. anecdotal I know.

Key workers: key facts and questions - Institute For Fiscal Studies - IFS

Predicted grades the same as the ones they generate for UCAS and in year 7?

lets hope they do a better job than normal.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/grade-pred...till-use-them/

'Judged on how we used to be': improving schools cry foul over GCSE and A-level grading | Education | The Guardian

Comment

Care workers, child minders and so on won't get a pay rise as they're in the private sector
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

no need for teachers anymore; all that british kids will need to know are the different types of fruit and how to pick them. They can learn that by copying their parents, working in the same fields

#uk2.0

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
                  I think I would know better than you, what it is like given that I have immediate family who are teachers. Just saying things like 'finish at 3:30' makes you sound like a delusional idiot. I do not and have never known any teachers that start at 9 and finish 3.30. It it most likely a 7.30/8 start and 4.30/5 finish with 1-2 hours marking per night and weekend work.

Teachers already do use existing material to prepare for lessons. That does not come for free - you still have to put the time in to make the lessons (powerpoints etc) individually tailored to the children in the class. Again more nonsense.

Automated marking? Ok, I rest my case. You are a complete ******* idiot. Why are you even posting bulltulip like this when you are clearly completely detached from reality? My wife buys pencils and pens for her pupils because the school has no money and some kids come from low income families and you are talking about computerised marking.
                  Ah what a lovely reasoned response. Insult, ridicule & irritate with no facts have you thought of joining BLM or the Marxist party?

As I said the teachers are the ones that frequently pick their kids up by 4pm. That is a fact admittedly by a small sample.

They may start earlier but dropping off at 7:30 / 8 is common with teachers. Our earliest mum is a Nurse at 7am.

When I drop my kids off at just before 8am for gymnastics or other early activities there are frequently 2 cars in the teachers car park the other 30 spaces are empty. 1 Car is the receptionist and the other belongs to the gymnastic teacher.

When I pick my kids up at 15:05 or a bit later for events at 4pm the cars leaving the now half empty car park are teachers. Our friend the school cleaner finds the school nearly empty at about 4:30.

YMMV but I like facts.

Not nonsense because it apparently is already happening so do teachers now work less hours because of this shared resource or did their predecessors work 120 hours preparing bespoke lessons?

As I said MyMaths and similar are very popular, maybe you don't remember ticking boxes on a sheet of paper so they could be read by computer 20+ years ago, with technology that can be done in real time. Any test that is multiple choice or requires an expected answer can be marked by a computer. The 11 plus and many GCSE exams are. Now you may say that schools are underfunded and cannot afford such fripperies but if any teacher is marking something that could be electronically marked is a busy fool. Teachers should push for this so they can reduce their hours.

I see the same in private industry people doing lots of manual work when it should be automated.
                  Last edited by vetran; 21 July 2020, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Care workers, child minders and so on won't get a pay rise as they're in the private sector
                    As per the link above child care is frequently government funded by the free 30 hours which pays £4.08 an hour from THE GOVERNMENT. That is about 1.50 an hour below outer London costs for child care.

Care workers are frequently indirectly paid by the government. But the private sector subsidise them.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

cant share but you get to pay >£100/week to fund Government care home occupants.

Same for home care.
                    Last edited by vetran; 21 July 2020, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      Already on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X