• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best contract: Direct to end client or through a consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    whichever pays the best
    FTFY direct payment cycles can be awfully long. > 90 days with some large orgs.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      But if I have a choice between contracting with Client A via a consultancy and Client B via a pimp, all other things being equal, I would choose Client B.
      Depends on the consultancy, I guess.

Comment

Day to day comfort - option 1. Long term career progress - option 2. I've found the people and orgs I meet and work with via option 2 are more likey to be the sort that will come back to me later on etc.

Direct to an end client can be very pleasant, but you're generally working with perms for that organisation who while usually friendly, aren't likely to pick up the phone to you again in any meaningful way.

I actually attribute much of my contracting success to predominantly working through consultancies - I think it makes for a stronger CV, and forces you stay in the consultant mindset.

Comment

FOG
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What's the point of giving you advice.. You don't follow it...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2687122
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Depends on the consultancy, I guess.
              Yes. Small amendment:

One of the most enjoyable contracts I've done was via a very small niche consultancy run by a really decent and good chap. Anything involving a big consultancy has been an unhappy experience. Apparently I'm not a good corporate citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Is this hypothetical, or is this a situation you're currently faced with?
                Nothing concrete at the minute but I'm anticipating this very situation and want to make the right call.
                Last edited by AlonsoHarris; 18 September 2020, 00:19.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  What's the point of giving you advice.. You don't follow it...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2687122
                  Been a while since I've been on here so it must've slipped my mind. I'll be sure to follow your advice next time and keep the standards high!
                  Last edited by AlonsoHarris; 18 September 2020, 00:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Yes. Small amendment:

One of the most enjoyable contracts I've done was via a very small niche consultancy run by a really decent and good chap. Anything involving a big consultancy has been an unhappy experience. Apparently I'm not a good corporate citizen.
                    I hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      Day to day comfort - option 1. Long term career progress - option 2. I've found the people and orgs I meet and work with via option 2 are more likey to be the sort that will come back to me later on etc.

Direct to an end client can be very pleasant, but you're generally working with perms for that organisation who while usually friendly, aren't likely to pick up the phone to you again in any meaningful way.

I actually attribute much of my contracting success to predominantly working through consultancies - I think it makes for a stronger CV, and forces you stay in the consultant mindset.

Good points and I'd take the point of working with perm further... IME as a contractor I much working with other contractors than perms. Less politics.

Comment

Working...
                      X