• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I open a UK Ltd as EU resident?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curious7 View Post
    I was planning to move to London and open a ltd company in the UK...

Any advice?
    Yes, talk to an accountant.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Yes, talk to an accountant.
      Do you have any recommendation for accountants that accept non-UK residents? I could not find anyone accepting non-residents so far.

Comment

Do you have any recommendation for accountants that accept non-UK residents? I could not find anyone accepting non-residents so far.
        Then things don't bode well for you, do they?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Well I want to move to the UK as I said in my post but trying to calculate/be aware of the risks involved. That's why I asked in this forum.

Comment

Well I want to move to the UK as I said in my post but trying to calculate/be aware of the risks involved. That's why I asked in this forum.
            From the 1st of January, will you have to right to live in the UK?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well lets see how things stack up

1) Greece: Great weather all round, great food, great culture, great people, great beaches, great food produce, self sufficient, amazing girls, part of EU.

2) UK : None of the above.

Now why would you even consider moving your tulip all the way from Greece to London in the middle of this pandemic and brexit ? You could not have chosen a worst time to do this. You are in software, you got great clients all over the world, you can sit on a beach in Crete and run your company while sipping pina coladas and getting a massage from some beauty.

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I'd like to move to either London or Berlin and the UK ltd seems much more flexible, easy to administer and with less bureaucratic hurdles. On the other hand there's Brexit and the other points I explain in the original post.

There's so many UK companies that I don't think this will be a major problem.. I'm in software.
                Surely Cyprus would be a more logical fit? Almost a Greek-UK hybrid, much lower taxes, although it is admittedly expensive to run a company even if it's not doing anything.

In any case, if you want to move to the UK do so before the end of the year as that way you will be protected under the Withdrawal Agreement (although that does also entail certain obligations) and will maintain the right to work.

Afterwards you will be subject to this new points-based immigration system. As was already noted, you can be a director of a UK company, but have no right to employ yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
                  Surely Cyprus would be a more logical fit? Almost a Greek-UK hybrid, much lower taxes, although it is admittedly expensive to run a company even if it's not doing anything.

In any case, if you want to move to the UK do so before the end of the year as that way you will be protected under the Withdrawal Agreement (although that does also entail certain obligations) and will maintain the right to work.

Afterwards you will be subject to this new points-based immigration system. As was already noted, you can be a director of a UK company, but have no right to employ yourself.
                  I forgot about Cyprus. Yes I agree, also English is one of three official languages in CY.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I feel I'm limited in my choices by where I'd move personally (due to the aforementioned tax laws).
                    I wouldn't to move to Cyprus or Estonia.
                    London is multicultural, has a lot of ambitious people, good business ecosystem, big city.
                    Greece is good for retiring as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
                      In any case, if you want to move to the UK do so before the end of the year as that way you will be protected under the Withdrawal Agreement (although that does also entail certain obligations) and will maintain the right to work. .
                      Is there official documentation mentioning this?

Comment

Working...
                      X