• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom: 99p per pint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom: 99p per pint

Wetherspoon's offers 99p pints in run-up to England lockdown | Business | The Guardian

Wetherspoon’s offers 99p pints in run-up to England lockdown

UK’s largest pub chain slashes prices to reduce waste before shutting venues on Wednesday

Wetherspoon’s pubs will sell pints of ale for 99p to try to clear stock that will otherwise be poured down the drain during England’s new lockdown.

Britain’s largest pub chain will close its English locations on Wednesday at 10pm before the lockdown, after the government’s surprise announcement on Saturday.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Drink Out To Spread Out!

Comment

Are they selling gammon cheap?

Comment

Last chance for the gammons to infect each other

Comment

(Eirikur This user is on your Ignore List. I'm almost tempted to see what the idiot racist has said this time...)

Meanwhile, why not sell it cheap? If they're only going to throw it away like last time, makes perfect sense to get something for it.
          The date of December 2nd is ambitious, as it relies on adherence, which didn't happen last time, and I'm not optimistic it's going to happen this time.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            (Eirikur This user is on your Ignore List. I'm almost tempted to see what the idiot racist has said this time...)

Meanwhile, why not sell it cheap? If they're only going to throw it away like last time, makes perfect sense to get something for it.
            The date of December 2nd is ambitious, as it relies on adherence, which didn't happen last time, and I'm not optimistic it's going to happen this time.
            They didn't throw it away last time, they were allowed to do off sales. Thats what kept a lot of smaller pubs afloat, selling take out beer from the door. I know three of my locals that are unlikely to survive this time around because they are not longer allowed. It doesn't bring in huge amounts but it's enough to help pay running costs while wages are covered by furlough. Most pubs had also recently restocked because there was no indication that lockdown was going to be tightened. This is what happens when you do a U turn without warning and dont give people time to prepare.

Edit : Another U turn. Literally as I was typing the above I got a DM from a Landlord friend saying they have now decided to allow off sales provided it is preordered. Going to be tough for those that have had to ditch beer or not ordered in anticipation of not being allowed to sell it.
            https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0201200_en.pdf
            Last edited by DaveB; 3 November 2020, 20:51.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Loads of people adhered last time until 25 May.

Now people in Liverpool are deciding the government can go feck themselves with their population testing.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Loads of people adhered last time until 25 May.

Now people in Liverpool are deciding the government can go feck themselves with their population testing.
                The Govt should run an aggressive media campaign to convince people there - full page ads in the Sun!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  They didn't throw it away last time, they were allowed to do off sales. Thats what kept a lot of smaller pubs afloat, selling take out beer from the door. I know three of my locals that are unlikely to survive this time around because they are not longer allowed. It doesn't bring in huge amounts but it's enough to help pay running costs while wages are covered by furlough. Most pubs had also recently restocked because there was no indication that lockdown was going to be tightened. This is what happens when you do a U turn without warning and dont give people time to prepare.

Edit : Another U turn. Literally as I was typing the above I got a DM from a Landlord friend saying they have now decided to allow off sales provided it is preordered. Going to be tough for those that have had to ditch beer or not ordered in anticipation of not being allowed to sell it.
                  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...0201200_en.pdf
                  So I can text an order to my local, and they can post me a pint?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Wetherspoon’s offers 99p pints
                    Actually it's £1 a pint.
                    Because after drinking one, you'll need to spend a penny..

Comment

Working...
                    X