• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not your father...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    ... as hiding a pregnancy and subsequent birth can be a bit challenging.
    Boris did it quite well. Oh, you mean by the mother

Comment

What is the purpose of the birth certificate? In my mind, it's there to specify who the BIOLOGICAL mother and father are. Whose sperm and whose egg came together?
      There are procedures like this which could be done using a surrogate which screws that idea up.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There are procedures like this which could be done using a surrogate which screws that idea up.
        Then there's three people on the certificate.

Comment

What is the purpose of the birth certificate? In my mind, it's there to specify who the BIOLOGICAL mother and father are. Whose sperm and whose egg came together?

If that's the purpose then all this hoo-hah goes away. Sure, change the terminology to egg donor and sperm donor if mother/father are too contentious.

If the purpose is to define who the legal guardians are, then that's something entirely different and that's solveable by removing mother/father and replacing it with legal guardian(s) as a term.

Historically the presence of a father on a birth certificate was less important as mothers are easy to confirm as hiding a pregnancy and subsequent birth can be a bit challenging.
          You'd probably get more problems, for example if you date someone who is pregnant and decide to move in together and raise the child as your own. Or if the child's father is not who you think cos of some hanky panky on the side...

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
            You'd probably get more problems, for example if you date someone who is pregnant and decide to move in together and raise the child as your own. Or if the child's father is not who you think cos of some hanky panky on the side...
            That's what happens already.

My point is that the purpose of the document needs to be defined and then its completion and associated terminology becomes a lot easier.

At present, the birth certificate covers multiple purposes and that's why it's causing an issue.

Comment

If that's the purpose then all this hoo-hah goes away. Sure, change the terminology to egg donor and sperm donor if mother/father are too contentious.
              Try explaining that to the liberals.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's what happens already.

My point is that the purpose of the document needs to be defined and then its completion and associated terminology becomes a lot easier.

At present, the birth certificate covers multiple purposes and that's why it's causing an issue.

Just change the cert to say "Parent A " - Hosting Womb, "Parent B" ? Parent C

I always liked the idea that the Jewish faith does lineage via the mother.

Personally for claiming Child support a DNA test should be mandatory.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Just change the cert to say "Parent A " - Hosting Womb, "Parent B" ? Parent C

I always liked the idea that the Jewish faith does lineage via the mother.
                  So there would be no mother and no father on the birth certificate?

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Personally for claiming Child support a DNA test should be mandatory.
                  You can already argue for one if you dispute paternity.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    So there would be no mother and no father on the birth certificate?

You can already argue for one if you dispute paternity.

That does seem to be the way we are going, people's rights to choosing their preferred sex overrules everyone else's preference.

I would do it as standard so we don't have abuses where a father innocently pays for someone else's kids.

One in 25 fathers is not biological parent - study | Society | The Guardian

Studies based on populations not being tested for paternity suggested a 3.7% rate, said the authors, but accurate figures were needed for Britain, where about a third of pregnancies are unplanned and one in five divorces cites infidelity by one or both partners
                    "For any father, identifying that the child they are raising is actually sired by another man can have substantial health consequences.
                    "Such knowledge can also destroy families , affecting the health of the child and mother as well as that of any man who is subsequently identified as the biological parent."
                    So don't ask don't tell seems alive in this area.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We should take advice from Aldous Huxley and re-word it to "Decanted by ..."
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X