Is 18 months too long to be in one role? Is 18 months too long to be in one role?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26

Super poster

NorthWestPerm2Contr 's job has never been outsourced

Default Is 18 months too long to be in one role?

Ok I admit I've been very lucky in that I've had a contract throughout Covid and it's not been particularly streneous. Having said that i've found it has got boring as we are doing BAU level projects rather than greenfield which I started with. I've told them that the myself and the other contractor need to move on as they have a dependency on 2 contractors for delivering projects and no KT has been performed ensuring they can transition to BAU properly. Generally my contracts tend to last between 6-12 months as I tend to get bored very quickly and everytime I've lasted longer than that my motivation has dwindled and productivity nose dived. God knows how I'd survive being a permie. So is 18 months too long?
    "To Learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"- Voltaire

Godlike

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

Have you bled the radiators yet at clientco?

Do you enjoy films about Gladiators?

What are your thoughts on "the chutney spoon"?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Super poster

NorthWestPerm2Contr 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    Have you bled the radiators yet at clientco?

Do you enjoy films about Gladiators?

What are your thoughts on "the chutney spoon"?
    I'm at home office. Not yet needed to bleed the radiators here.

Gladiator one of the best films of all time.

No comment.
    "To Learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"- Voltaire

Fingers like lightning

TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Ok I admit I've been very lucky in that I've had a contract throughout Covid and it's not been particularly streneous. Having said that i've found it has got boring as we are doing BAU level projects rather than greenfield which I started with. I've told them that the myself and the other contractor need to move on as they have a dependency on 2 contractors for delivering projects and no KT has been performed ensuring they can transition to BAU properly. Generally my contracts tend to last between 6-12 months as I tend to get bored very quickly and everytime I've lasted longer than that my motivation has dwindled and productivity nose dived. God knows how I'd survive being a permie. So is 18 months too long?
    You threw the over contractor under the bus because you're bored?

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

18 months in the same roll is too long

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Contractor Among Contractors

Scoobos 's job has never been outsourced

I think 18 months is about the right time to start to exit. Not sure I would have brought the other contractor into the discussion tho, maybe you could KT to him ?

Same reasons, but also driven by the old 24 month workplace rule.

My average is 12 months and I'm usually ready for a change by then.

Unfortunately / fortunately , I've not had a break for 12 months + and I personally suffer for it. Going back into the private sector after a stint earlier in the year with the NHS hurt.

It's like going from something really motivating and terribly important to something that now feels mercenary.

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

Well I have to admire your enthusiasm. We are heading for recession that may make the great depression look like a quiet Saturday and you are bailing without a cushy post to go to,

Have fun.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Contractor Among Contractors

Scoobos 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    18 months in the same roll is too long

That ham has not been in that roll for 18 months.

As far as the roll goes, that's still in the "probably builds your immune system" category, in my book!

More fingers than teeth

ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

I don't think there's a right or wrong length of time to be in the same gig, although the longer you are there the harder it is to say you're not a permie.

I tend to leave when I get bored, preferably when I've got something else lined up first, but sometimes I just take the time off and have a nice break. The latter is not really advisable at the moment, I'd say.

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

I have lasted a number of years as a contractor in one place but when I started to get bored I looked for stuff that needed fixing and branched out into that developing my skills for the next role. As old smeg will tell you, his ability to clean the floor and round the rim has stood him in good stead in his zero hour contracts.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.