• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

only ~1000 weeks to go.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They don't have the vaccine in massive quantities yet. It's a question of mass production AND logistics. Both are pretty standard, it's a question of time and money that's all.

You'd do better to learn a little science than make passive-aggressive replies when your ignorance is called out.

Well allegedly it will be 5 million doses delivered in the next 15 days. That should keep us going for a few years at the current rate. 800,000 delivered so far so no lack of vaccine is not an issue we have enough for 5 and a bit weeks at current run rate.

But if we are to vaccinate 20 million people in a year we need to be using about a million injections a week. Twice or three times that if we want to do 60 million etc.

Covid vaccine: Almost 138,000 people have received first dose, minister says (msn.com)

It had been hoped that 10 million doses would be in the country by the end of 2020, but this has now dropped to five million doses. To date, 800,000 doses are known to have been delivered to the UK.
    Overall, the government has already ordered 40 million doses of the jab - enough to vaccinate 20 million people.
    Doing some maths on the rate of vaccination and pointing out they need to up their game if we are going to use vaccination to stop this pandemic is not showing my ignorance it is a fair comment. There may be plans to improve it but they have had a year to plan vaccination.

If passive aggressive is marking posts out of 10 then may I point out that you started that. I am sorry you got upset when I proved you were talking bollocks and marked you down further.

By the way they took a few months to get up to testing in 6 figures and the test quantity did include tests sent out but not returned.

-1/10
    Last edited by vetran; 16 December 2020, 13:09.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why are vaccinating everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        They have to do it in (or near) hospitals because the vaccine has to be stored at -70c. The next vaccine can be stored in normal-ish fridges, so that's what most will eventually get via the local GP surgery etc.

It needs to be stored at -70c long term, that can be done in a special freezer or with a portable dry ice transport pfizer designed for 15 days more if you top up the dry ice. It may be ok in a fridge but that hasn't been tested.

Pfizer vaccine cold chain: why the COVID-19 shot needs to be so cold - Business Insider

OK the special freezer is a pain but if you are using a stadium or race course its hardly an insurmountable problem. Dry ice makes sense for smaller venues.

As you say this will become less relevant as the other vaccines come on line or Pfizer confirm if it can be stored at more sensible temperature.

But the key thing is getting bodies through the door.

I just had an idea, maybe in the observation area we can give each person a hand held clicker that flashes a light and you have to press the button within 15 seconds or it beeps and a brighter light flashes. About the size of a tv remote.
        Last edited by vetran; 16 December 2020, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Why are vaccinating everyone?

Maybe we don't but that seems to be the plan. I have heard figures of 75% which is probably the whole of the registered population.

Priority groups for coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination: advice from the JCVI, 2 December 2020 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Maybe we don't but that seems to be the plan. I have heard figures of 75% which is probably the whole of the registered population.

Priority groups for coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination: advice from the JCVI, 2 December 2020 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
            Don't think the under-16s will be getting it, that knocks about 20% off the total number. There are an estimated 25m in the priority groups already identified. We don't know what the uptake will eventually be but if it's say, 80%, then that would mean less than two thirds of the population. 90% uptake would still be less than 75%.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Don't think the under-16s will be getting it, that knocks about 20% off the total number. There are an estimated 25m in the priority groups already identified. We don't know what the uptake will eventually be but if it's say, 80%, then that would mean less than two thirds of the population. 90% uptake would still be less than 75%.
              from my link they aren't sure yet. It is spreading in schools like wildfire.

As trials in children and pregnant women are completed, we will also gain a better understanding of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines in these persons.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                25m sounds a lot, but they did over 15m flu jabs in just a few months during 2019/20 season so it should be doable. Kids would actually be easier in some ways since you can round them up at school, probably worth it just to stop them spreading it, if not for their own health.
                Just need an easier to distribute vaccine, and more of it. For some reason the UK has ordered over 350m doses across a range of vaccines, which seems a little excessive (just a shame most of it is the least efficacious one).

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                  25m sounds a lot, but they did over 15m flu jabs in just a few months during 2019/20 season so it should be doable. Kids would actually be easier in some ways since you can round them up at school, probably worth it just to stop them spreading it, if not for their own health.
                  Just need an easier to distribute vaccine, and more of it. For some reason the UK has ordered over 350m doses across a range of vaccines, which seems a little excessive (just a shame most of it is the least efficacious one).

Aiming for 30 million flu injections this year.

Vaccine update: issue 312, October 2020 flu special edition - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

still about half of Covid-19 because you have to inject twice.

Comment

My daughter ( aged 19 ) is back from Uni and working in a local care home over Xmas. She's just been offered it. Should be getting it done early next week.

It's coming fast to a location near you.

My missus, who's a health visitor, has a box of 25 COVID test kits, for her own personal use. She's supposed to test herself twice a week.

2021 is looking up already.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      still about half of Covid-19 because you have to inject twice.
                      Yeah, but the same order of magnitude at least. I think they'll do OK in the end - perhaps the first thing they won't have stuffed up this year.
                      My old man is getting his first jab this afternoon, which is quite remarkable when you think about how recently it was approved.

Comment

Working...
                      X