• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germans to the rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from riding down to Dover to get out of the house before wintering the GS.

It is a tulip show, Ignore the neatly lined lorries at Manston & those on the M20.

We have HGVs parked up in Canterbury and many rural roads. Lorries cluttering the M2, Dover is a parking lot. The A2 hill down to the port is closed off. HGVs are everywhere, main roads side streets - gridlock.

I do not see this improving on the 1st of January.

Comment

On a plus side driving on some motorways now should be a delight - not a lorry in sight...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        On a plus side driving on some motorways now should be a delight - not a lorry in sight...
        It's getting onto the motorways that is the problem. I tried to take a shortcut across a field while trying to get back on the M20. I turned around and took the A2 as I simply could not get near it down the A20 from Dover. On a GS.

In any case there was a LOT of tension in the air & I didn't want to hang around on a motorcycle.

Comment

Should have taken some ham sandwiches to sell for a tenner each while you were at it

aTW in "MarillionFan" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Should have taken some ham sandwiches to sell for a tenner each while you were at it

aTW in "MarillionFan" mode!
            The Facebook Markets are full of people looking to rent Burger Vans.

We are considering going down to help tomorrow - stuffing a bunch of food in the back of 4x4. The Salvation Army are there, many Sikh & Muslim groups helping out as much as they can.

Saw a bunch of drivers drinking 4 up in their cabs. Can't blame them for drinking, but the lack of social distancing is a concern.

Comment

It's all stollen and rotkohl for Aldi?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                It's all stollen and rotkohl for Aldi?
                It would explain why the airport supply chain staff were nicked for handling stollen goods.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  It's getting onto the motorways that is the problem. I tried to take a shortcut across a field while trying to get back on the M20. I turned around and took the A2 as I simply could not get near it down the A20 from Dover. On a GS.

In any case there was a LOT of tension in the air & I didn't want to hang around on a motorcycle.
                  Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says it will take "several days" to clear the backlog of lorries on the UK side of the French border, with "gridlock" reported in Dover.
                  As always CUK is the premier new source.

Comment

Working...
                  X