• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identical twins not so identical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identical twins not so identical

(And there are semi-identical twins as well)

Identical twins are not so identical, study suggests | Genetics | The Guardian

Genetic differences between identical twins can begin very early in embryonic development, according to a new study that researchers say has implications for studying the effects of nature versus nurture.

Identical – or monozygotic – twins come from a single fertilised egg that splits in two. They are important research subjects because they are thought to have minimal genetic differences. This means that when physical or behavioural differences emerge, environmental factors are presumed to be the likely cause.

But the new research, published on Thursday in the journal Nature Genetics, suggests the role of genetic factors in shaping these differences has been underestimated.

“The classic model has been to use identical twins to help you to separate the influence of genetics versus environment in analysis of diseases,” said Kari Stefansson, co-author of the paper and the head of Iceland’s deCODE genetics, a subsidiary of the US pharmaceutical company Amgen.

Scientists stunned by discovery of 'semi-identical' twins

“So if you take identical twins raised apart and one of them developed autism, the classic interpretation has been that that is caused by the environment.

“But that is an extraordinarily dangerous conclusion,” he said, adding that there was a possibility the disease could be due to an early genetic mutation in one twin but not the other.

A mutation means an alteration in a sequence of DNA – a tiny change that is not inherently good or bad but can influence physical features or susceptibility to certain diseases.

Jan Dumanski, a geneticist at Uppsala University in Sweden, who was not involved in the new paper, praised it as “a clear and important contribution” to medical research. “The implication is that we have to be very careful when we are using twins as a model” for teasing apart the influences of nature and nurture, he said.

Stefansson and his team sequenced the genomes of 387 pairs of identical twins and their parents, spouses and children in order to track genetic mutations.

They measured mutations that occurred during embryonic growth and found that identical twins differed by an average of 5.2 early developmental mutations. In 15% of twins, the number of diverging mutations was higher.

When a mutation happened in the first few weeks of embryonic development, it would be expected to be widespread both in an individual’s cells and in those of their offspring.

In one of the pairs of twins studied, for example, a mutation was present in all cells in one sibling’s body – meaning it likely happened very early in development – but not at all in the other twin.

Stefansson said that out of the initial mass that would go on to form the individuals, “one of the twins is made out of the descendants of the cell where the mutation took place and nothing else”, while the other was not.

“These mutations are interesting because they allow you to begin to explore the way in which twinning happens.”

Given the genetic differences found, the very term identical may be misleading to describe the siblings. “I am more inclined to call them monozygotic twins today than identical,” Stefansson said.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 8 January 2021, 08:55.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I once had a doctor ask if my twins were identical. Boy and girl....

Comment

Just think what a weird world it would be if human genes mutated as fast as those of this damn virus.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        It can happen - approx 0.1% chance from what I've read (twins on both sides so we were reading up and bracing for impact).
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          It can happen - approx 0.1% chance from what I've read (twins on both sides so we were reading up and bracing for impact).
          How do a girl and a boy develop from the same zygote?

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
            How do a girl and a boy develop from the same zygote?
            They can self identify as whatever they like these days.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Ahh like Stephen K Amos

Unfortunately, his sister is now deceased.

Comment

Is NLUK twinned with his accountant?

Comment

Is NLUK twinned with his accountant?
                  NLUK can be twinned with lots of things just like towns and cities.

Comment

Twins are rarely identical. I mean when have you met twins with the same name?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X