Sort Out The Government's Failings Sort Out The Government's Failings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16

Banned

Kyajae has no reputation

Default Sort Out The Government's Failings

Skills 'pledge' gauntlet to firms

The government is challenging employers to sign a pledge to improve the basic skills of their workforces.

So let me get this straight. Public sector education, with all it's targets and trendy educational theories, fail the kids and so it's up to employers to fill in the gaps.

What employer in their right mind would openly recruit illiterate and inumerate people to then spend money training them up to basic standards. Is this governemnt havin' a feckin' larf?
    Last edited by Kyajae; 14th June 2007 at 10:43.

Fingers like lightning

Euro-commuter has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Kyajae
    Skills 'pledge' gauntlet to firms

The government is challenging employers to sign a pledge to improve the basic skills of their workforces.

So let me get this straight. Public sector education, with all it's targets and trendy educational theories, fail the kids and so it's up to employers to fill in the gaps.
    To be fair, the government has wider plans than that: for example to have private schools lend equipment and teachers to the state schools.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Godlike

wendigo100 is too good to be a permie

Were the kids we turned out of schools 20 years ago as bad as they are today?

Banned

Kyajae has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo100
    Were the kids we turned out of schools 20 years ago as bad as they are today?
    I'd say not. We had the benefit of tried and tested teaching methods that have produced highly capable people down the years.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by Kyajae
    I'd say not. We had the benefit of tried and tested teaching methods that have produced highly capable people down the years.
    That's what I thought. So WTF has gone wrong since?

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost
    About 40 odd years of increasingly demented educational policy, culminating in "Grammars Schools are bad" from that Tory dickhead who went to a public school, so knows all about it.
    Oh, him. Yes, the Northern Irish have nailed that one well and truly. The Irish tell thick English jokes now.

Super poster

lilelvis2000 is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo100
    That's what I thought. So WTF has gone wrong since?
    Schools now concentrate on enabling students to pass the multiple choice exams rather than relying on teachers to evaluate students abilities themselves. The state wants robots not individuals in my opinion. Girls seem to be be under extreme pressure these days. I wonder what the future generation will be like...

Don't know what a grammar school is, but do schools not have streams for the bright and not so bright?

Spocklike

BA to the Stars is a permanent contractor

And we are kept being told that results are constantly improving and exams are not easier to pass hmmmm

Godlike

threaded is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-commuter
    To be fair, the government has wider plans than that: for example to have private schools lend equipment and teachers to the state schools.
    Funnily enough many teachers at private schools would not be allowed to teach in state schools as they do not have the relevant qualifications, and vica versa. For example: many private school teachers do not have a teaching qualification, and many state school teachers are not qualified in the subjects they teach. Which basically explains the vast difference in educational attainment of two sets of students.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by lilelvis2000
    Don't know what a grammar school is, but do schools not have streams for the bright and not so bright?
    In counties where grammars are still allowed, they scoop off the top 25% or so of those who take the 11-plus test, which is similar to an IQ test. So generally they get the brightest kids. Secondary schools take the rest.

In counties where they have abolished grammars, all schools are comprehensives.

Comprehensives and secondaries both have streaming.

Overall results in grammar/secondary areas are better than in comprehensive areas, which suggests that zeity is correct.