Am I earning too much money? Am I earning too much money?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25

What a muppet!

Gonzo is a permanent contractor

Default Am I earning too much money?

I have always been one for spending my money on decent experiences; interesting holidays, 5* hotels, drinking large quantities of good quality alcohol, after all you only get the one life ; but I have never been one to waste my money. I have never been interested in gadgets / toys or even having a flash motor.

So I was reflecting today that I have recently taken to paying £3 to get my shoes polished by the shoe shine guy, rather than bothering to clean them myself. How lazy is that?

Back in my poor permie days I would never have dreamt of spending £3 on something that I could easily do myself but after two years of contracting I think I might be losing my perspective on the real world.

So, for the more experienced contractors, how does one keep one's feet on the ground?

Lord of Ruin

Diver is NOT a disguised employee

How to keep feet on ground?

By getting married.

Getting married & having kids makes sure that they are firmly rooted
    Confusion is a natural state of being

More time posting than coding

chubba has no reputation

I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard. £3 on a shoe shine? The height of opulence without a care for what the future may hold!

Banned

Churchill has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo
    So I was reflecting today that I have recently taken to paying £3 to get my shoes polished by the shoe shine guy, rather than bothering to clean them myself. How lazy is that?
    It's not being lazy. You're helping to keep the shoe-shine guy in business.

It's made round to go round!

Godlike

milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced

chubba,

'I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard.',

seconded.

Milan.

Banned

Churchill has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by milanbenes
    chubba,

'I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard.',

seconded.

Milan.
    Ok sunshine. Talking about spending money. Have you bought that Audi S8 yet?

TPDeity

DS23 has more data than eek

thirded.

still, does he do a good job that shoeshiner?

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo
    I have always been one for spending my money on decent experiences; interesting holidays, 5* hotels, drinking large quantities of good quality alcohol, after all you only get the one life ; but I have never been one to waste my money. I have never been interested in gadgets / toys or even having a flash motor.

Back in my poor permie days I would never have dreamt of spending £3 on something that I could easily do myself but after two years of contracting I think I might be losing my perspective on the real world.

So, for the more experienced contractors, how does one keep one's feet on the ground?
    Where do you get your shoes shined for £3? In the city? Bloke in Liverpool Street charges £4, but he's of Eastern European descent and doesn't speak very good English so maybe it's worth the extra £1 not to have to talk to anybody whilst getting a shoe shine.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Diver
    How to keep feet on ground?

By getting married.

Getting married & having kids makes sure that they are firmly rooted
    NO! NO! NO! NO! actually nothing wrong with marriage. its divorce which is a problem. and only one way to ensure you dont get divorced...

TPDeity

DS23 has more data than eek

....is to not become a contractor?