• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HDMI cable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Spikes on the line? Lightning?
    aren't broadband phone lines 18v? be interesting to know what the spikes are up to... can't correlate death of ADSL filter to lightening strikes - but annoyingly it wasn't at the same time or on the same socket.... is there a bit of kit to smooth out the electrickery gubbins coming in through the BT line?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yer actual POTS line is 600ohm & 48V if I remember correctly.

The spikes can be kV... but there's supposed to be a lightning arrestor somewhere to prevent damage.

Though since the arrestor was designed to prevent damage to a 1930's bakelite phone, it probably doesn't do a lot these days...
      Gas tube arrestors let in spikes of 100's of volts for a few microseconds. Enough to fry modern equipment but save a 1930's phone from fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Anyone else had ADSL filters die on them? I have had 2 go completely dead ... can't work out why a solid state bit of kit should have a life expectancy - both supplied by BT and last just over the year!
        I was getting a kind of intermittent white noise on the phone. I thought it was either my knackered old phone, or the dodgy extension wiring, but I noticed the other day when the ADSL was trying to connect the noise started at the same time the ADSL would being it's retry.

So the answer to that is yes. Not completely die, but it's obviously not filtering correctly if you can hear the ADSL signal on the phone. I'd had that one 3 years; new one and no more noise.

To go further off topic a minute: the reason I was fiddling was because I'd had enough of WiFi and bought a couple of Netgear powerline connectors. One end of it is a combined ethernet link and power supply for a Netgear router (so you don't need an extra plug), but with that powering my Netgear ADSL router the ADSL refused to connect. With the old power supply it would work fine. I'm guessing it must be a noisy power supply and that kills ADSL even though the router itself was working fine.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally Posted by zeitghost
          Yer actual POTS line is 600ohm & 48V if I remember correctly.
          The spikes can be kV... but there's supposed to be a lightning arrestor somewhere to prevent damage.
          Though since the arrestor was designed to prevent damage to a 1930's bakelite phone, it probably doesn't do a lot these days...
          Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Gas tube arrestors let in spikes of 100's of volts for a few microseconds. Enough to fry modern equipment but save a 1930's phone from fire.
          didn't realise we had a load of ex GPO engineers posting on this site???
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The Maplim HDMI cable connectors are 22 ct gold plated for better conductivity .. that is why they are so expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
              The Maplim HDMI cable connectors are 22 ct gold plated for better conductivity .. that is why they are so expensive.
              And their optical cables are cut out of real diamodns for better light passing...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                And their optical cables are cut out of real diamodns for better light passing...
                Sceptical about 22 caret gold plating? Me too, surely 9 caret would suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Sceptical about 22 caret gold plating? Me too, surely 9 caret would suffice?
                  Yellow paint maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Yellow paint maybe?
                    Yeah, that could work. Supercooled yellow paint.

Comment

I've heard that gold pressed latinum has even higher sonic qualities but you primitive hu-mans haven't discovered it yet...
                      Do you want me to tickle your ears?
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X