• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Was Disappointing in 2007?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Then you did better than me. (From which you may conclude what follows is either rubbish or based on experience - you choose!)
    I beg to differ - a mere 17 posts compared to 6,575! Pah!!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Personally speaking, 2007 was an excellent year for me, only time i took off work was enforced thanks to an ambulance dash to the hospital.

2007 gave me more work than I could actually do and I've entered 2008 with 3 times more contacts than a year ago and 2-3 years of projects with various clients lined up (subject to confirmation and contracts)
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Do they still make tape?
        yup
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

This contracting lark sounds hard! I am going to jump in threadeds time machine and go back 5 years and not start contracting.

I will give this little gem of advice .. in an interview they already think you can do the job, otherwise they wouldnt have given an interview.. the interview is only a double check to cover their asses.. and most inportantly.. a check to make sure they can stand working with you. Work on your interview personality, not your technical skills, and if you cannot... think seriously about quitting as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            This contracting lark sounds hard! I am going to jump in threadeds time machine and go back 5 years and not start contracting.

I will give this little gem of advice .. in an interview they already think you can do the job, otherwise they wouldnt have given an interview.. the interview is only a double check to cover their asses.. and most inportantly.. a check to make sure they can stand working with you. Work on your interview personality, not your technical skills, and if you cannot... think seriously about quitting as a contractor.
            Thats really bad advice... just learn .NET and you'll be fine
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Don't give up.

I spent 2 months swatting up and preparing until I got my next gig (yes really).

Remember:
              Some places are not really looking for people to hire and are wasting everyone's time i.e. just window shopping or stealing ideas from interview candidates or just filling out the number of candidates after they have already chosen their mate for the role.

My advise is swot up like crazy for the technical tests, read up about the role background info and try if u can to tie it in with what u did in the past and mention it in the interview.

Comment

Much better than my record over last six years. On plus side there is very little I could owe HMRC.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Much better than my record over last six years. On plus side there is very little I could owe HMRC.
                  Aye X

Obviously you haven't heard of the sweeping draconic proviisons of IR666 ... as for moi -
                  Crises ? What Crises ?

Alf's Guardian Angel - aways told him what to do - and where to go next.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 January 2008, 12:19.

Comment

I rarely get a response from agents. If I do get to interview my success rate is close to 100% though. My CV sucks, I hate lying / embellishing CVs and my last role wasn’t using run-of-the-mills skills. So I may be stuffed when it comes to finding work. I can’t work up the enthusiasm to look yet though and I may switch straight to plan B instead: Sell up and become a new age traveller or perhaps a tramp.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      Sell up and become a new age traveller or perhaps a tramp.

There is something strangely appealing about becoming a posh pikey and sticking two fingers up at the government.

No mortgage or stuck in one area where your house is. No council tax. No bailiffs. No speeding tickets. No skanky b&bs or overpriced hotels, just find a campsite near the client, official or otherwise.

Apart from the snobbery against such living, I can't think of many downsides. Not sure how easy it is to avoid being registered at a permanent address though. As long as I can access my bank accounts, which are all online, the rest is just location and lifestyle choices.
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X