• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service - Has it affected you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Would like to gauge how often this would be likely to come up during a period of say 20 years.
    1. Who's been stung by this, for how many days/weeks and did you lose money due to it
    2. Who managed to get out of it. What excuses/valid reasons did you use.
    3. Anyone got jury service insurance that paid out

I know it's a civic duty etc, so please no 'why ask this....blah etc'. Just want to know some raw facts and figures.
    1. I have been called twice in eighteen years. The second time took seven days out.
    2. I got out of it the first time because I had moved out of the area.
    3. I didn't have insurance at the time, but PCG+ does provide some.

I had to feel sorry for another bloke who was in the juror pool last time I was there. He was a self-employed shop fitter and was in the middle of a job so he couldn't stop work for two weeks and then pick it up later. He was turning up on site at 6 in the morning, doing a few hours, then going back in the evening to do some more.

To add insult to injury, he didn't get called onto any cases.

Comment

It's never happened to me.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
        Surely all you need to do is wait until the accused gets marched in and then give them a big wave and a loud "Allright matey! How's it going? Fancy seeing you here" etc etc.

Either that or a loud comment to your fellow jurors along the lines of "hey, he looks guilty as sin eh eh?"

I haven't been stung by it yet.

I know another permie that was on some murder trial in london for about 8 weeks! The management were going crazy as you can imagine.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X