• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are your ears burning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIK the Upper/Middle/Lower classification system was considered redundant at the end of the 1980s, when the A/B/C1/C2/D/E system was preferred.

I think things have moved on since then, but I am by no means an expert*

* by which I mean that I have done no CPD on the subject since University.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Agreed. If one is upper class, or working class, one always remains so, irrespective or career choice or income.

The middle classes offer far more mobility - up and down.
      Ref your excellent original summary: the attributes of the upper class are less likely to change with circumstances than those of the middle class.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
        Yes.

According to something I saw or read that I've mentioned here before, "class" has been around as a concept only since the middle of the 19th century. It replaced "rank", which was unchangeable.
        That would make sense. Without the middle class, the class system with some mobility degenerates into a rank system with no mobility.

Comment

If you ever wonder what class you are, you're middle. The ones either side don't give a damn.

HTH

Comment

Working...
          X