• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions about land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the other hand
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      One acre is about 64 metres x 64 metres so not that big really? I like it when a house is described to be on a 0.1 acre plot. flip all innit?

If land is described as a paddock, what does this mean in legal terms? If a house comes with a paddock, can this be used at a garden, can it be landscaped and plated with trees? What are the rules on paddocks? Can I have a lake put on it?
      Our neighbour bought a strip of agricultural land and applied for change of use to residential / garden. They were told to get rooted. They are now using it as a paddock, so I guess it's still classified as agricultural.

We did the same, bought a strip of land and have been advised that we wouldn't get change of use to residential so don't even bother applying. We weren't fussed; liked the idea of an orchard anyway.

We made the mistake of putting a garden table and chairs on it shortly after making a hole in the hedge to access the strip from our garden. It was only temporary and I hadn't got around to moving them back to the garden. Within 2 weeks, we had a visit from a council bod saying they'd been a complaint about the table and chairs. Council bod thought it was a bit petty that the complaint had been made so soon but basically we had to stop treating the land as garden (i.e. putting a table and chairs on it).

Basically Dim, if you treat the paddock as garden, expect a visit. If you build on (unless agricultural building I think) expect a kicking. If you want to build a lake on it, I'm not sure, but probably not, planning permission needed for any spoil removal from site though. Expect limitless levels of petty beaurocracy at all times.

Alternatively, plant a hedge. Do what you want and hope the council don't have helicopters.

HTH

Comment

A paddock is usually a fenced area adjacent of very near to stables and primarily used for grazing horses. Usually only used as temporary grazing since a paddock is usually deemed to be too small to use for regular grazing.

As a rule of thumb allow 1.2 acres ( 0.5 Hectare ) per horse on good quality grazing. The worse the grazing the more acreage needed per horse. Most land used for grazing horses or ponies can only manage half this density, ie 2.4 acre per horse.

Anything over an acre normally qualifies as a field.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You may be able to earn a bit grazing other peoples' horses. But be careful of poisonous plants if you don't want the RSPCA, Ministry of Agriculture, and the animals' owners, and God knows who else on your case (literally).

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            You may be able to earn a bit grazing other peoples' horses. But be careful of poisonous plants if you don't want the RSPCA, Ministry of Agriculture, and the animals' owners, and God knows who else on your case (literally).
            Thanks Marina. If I ever move to Ohio and buy a horse, I'll bare this in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
              Our neighbour bought a strip of agricultural land and applied for change of use to residential / garden. They were told to get rooted. They are now using it as a paddock, so I guess it's still classified as agricultural.
              <Pedant> Though they are almost certainly ok there are restrictions on equine use of agricultural land. Major ones are related to ESA tier 1 and tier 2. These are probably pretty much all expired with the movement to the single payment scheme but there are some still around. If they are covered by these then the horses cannot be the prime users. If they incidental to other grazing OK otherwise it's a breach of the ESA agreement and this, as I found out, can get fairly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                As a rule of thumb allow 1.2 acres ( 0.5 Hectare ) per horse on good quality grazing. The worse the grazing the more acreage needed per horse. Most land used for grazing horses or ponies can only manage half this density, ie 2.4 acre per horse.
                YMMV but that seems a bit high for most of the year. We keep 4 in about 4 acres over winter and they still get a bit fat. Spring/Summrer/Autumn they are in about 1.5 acres together and we generally still have to strip graze.

Comment

Working...
                X