• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Organising weekel EU commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invite partner to stay in NL every few weekends
    • Sleep on Eurostar instead of working
    • Build a personal flying machine (or buy a paraglider )
    • Travel at night
    • Relocate
    • Get another job

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      • Travel at night
      • Relocate
      • Get another job
      Oh yes.
      No 1 is part of the plan, she comes to NL. Not perfect because she can not be flexible at work so has to get in to Luton early on Monday morning; will not fly back Sunday since she would either have to get a taxi (no smoking), or drive (no drinking).
      Indeed, sleep on Eurostar. Better than the current commute.

But changing location or job were diallowed in the question and travelling at night is how I came to the Harwich ferry. Good ideas but now new.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        • Travel at night
        • Relocate
        • Get another job
        Time Machine.

HTH
        Threaded.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Note (v. important): Do not get into the habbit of buying presents at the airport as this will become expected. Much better to turn up slightly drunk.

HTH

I've failed, I buy one of those wooden tulips (that's the flower everyone, NOT I repeat NOT wooden excrement) everytime I return but then I am a hopeless romantic!

I also offer to drive back...

B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
            I've failed, I buy one of those wooden tulips (that's the flower everyone, NOT I repeat NOT wooden excrement)
            Aww, I would love a wooden excrement as a paperweight too, was going to ask where you got one.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

http://www.spartantailgate.com/forum...ragliding.html

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Expat, how easy is it for you to get to City Airport? Most efficient airport in my experience although flights from there may be expensive.
                Up at 6:00
                leave house 6:35 on foot to local station arr 6:50,
                train dep 6:53 to Euston.
                arr Bank 7:50, dep DLR 7:55
                arr LCY 8:18.
                flight 9:25
                arr AMS 11:55.
                Miss train 12:13, get 12:43
                Arr Utrecht 13:15.

Can't really do a full day then.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Up at 6:00
                  leave house 6:35 on foot to local station arr 6:50,
                  train dep 6:53 to Euston.
                  arr Bank 7:50, dep DLR 7:55
                  arr LCY 8:18.
                  flight 9:25
                  arr AMS 11:55.
                  Miss train 12:13, get 12:43
                  Arr Utrecht 13:15.

Can't really do a full day then.

I think the trains at Schiphol are deliberately timed to leave approximately 1 minute before it's possible to get there from the aircraft!
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I'll try being smart for once, and ask the real question behind my 3G-on-train question......So I want to use the time better. The work-on-train idea came from the fact that 8 useful hours travelling would be vastly superior to 6 hours wasted; but looking wider, has anyone else come up with some good ideas for doing the weekly commute better...
                    i've done that london amsterdam commut for a tad over 3 years in total (not all concurrent). are you more concerned with reducing commute time or using the commute time to do other stuff? i had two key factors - the first stint was about time reduction and the second stint was all about cost reduction. so, as an example, the first used lots of taxis the second most certainly did not. there are loads tricks to tip the process in one direction or another depending on your criteria

as a basic starter:
                    minimise your luggage (cram it all into hand only) reduces queues
                    keep stuff in the office on the continent to use when you get there
                    work 5 days in 4 or 4 in 3 to give yourself more time at home this does mean getting the earliet flight on the first working day but get used to it - it is worth it. hell - what are you gonna do in the evening anyway?
                    Last edited by DS23; 8 July 2008, 20:09. Reason: ss

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      i've done that london amsterdam commut for a tad over 3 years in total (not all concurrent). are you more concerned with reducing commute time or using the commute time to do other stuff? i had two key factors - the first stint was about time reduction and the second stint was all about cost reduction. so, as an example, the first used lots of taxis the second most certainly did not. there are loads tricks to tip the process in one direction or another depending on your criteria

as a basic starter:
                      minimise your luggage (cram it all into hand only) reduces queues
                      keep stuff in the office on the continent to use when you get there
                      work 5 days in 4 or 4 in 3 to give yourself more time at home this does mean getting the earliet flight on the first working day but get used to it - it is worth it. hell - what are you gonna do in the evening anyway?
                      Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not a rookie, I'm years into optimising the foreign commute. Keeping stuff over there, definitely. Checked baggage, NEVER. This time I even have a flat there, spare old laptop over there and everything, nothing to carry (hand baggage = 1 paperback).

Easy and fast security: all-plastic belt, titanium wristwatch, slip-on shoes..... Privium and Iris.

Your question is the right one: what am I trying to do with the commute? Ultimately my aim is to maximise "quality time" at home (sorry but it's hard to say concisely otherwise) while not risking the office work. So, if I can make the commute shorter, I can gain some home time; but equally, if I can turn some commute time into working time, I can turn some working time into home time.

The secondary aim that has prompted this discussion is to improve the commute:
                      avoid unpleasantness,
                      reduce commute time especially fragmented useless time,
                      shift to less awkward times,
                      and finally, if I could use the time, that would make up for all the rest.

As usual I am short of both time and money, but at age 57 I'm leaning towards saving time. There's less of it left than I'd like.

I don't like the earliest flight on Monday morning because it really ruins the whole night's sleep for me and for my partner too (we both have a restless night), but it may have to be done: if that one little unpleasantness avoids the need for several others. (This is not a "get used to it", I am used to it but I want not to be!) My big idea there is to change the 1 home work day/week to Monday, so that the early day becomes Tuesday and the spoilt night's sleep is not Sunday's, so the weekend is better (that would matter to some people and not at all to others).
                      (Incidentally it's the stress of absolutely having to get up on the alarm that kills the sleep; so for example if I just paid full fare and could catch the next flight, I wouldn't lose the sleep. You can always exchange time for money).

I do actually have things to do in the evening too: I have solitary interests that I never get round to at home because they are so self-centred: good films, in cinema or DVD; Photoshop work on photos, reading books because I want to, not just to fill in time. So there is no time any time that is worthless to me, that I can just throw away on commuting. I guess it's a min-time/max-cost option I need, but it's more than just min-time; not every hour at home is the same as every other.

I would like to say that, although I may seem to have rejected most suggestions, this thread has brought out a lot of good contributions from people who are doing similar things. The guys have put in some good stuff. I think this is an area where we can learn from each other; and I may try to introduce more discussions like this.
                      Last edited by expat; 8 July 2008, 21:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X