• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suspicions about agency, opinions please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn’t get the job, but for some reason the agent hasn’t got the nerve to be honest with you. Strike them off your list of agents to use as they will never put you forward again.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Never love a contract that you don't have.
      Excellent expression I must try to remember that one.

As HAB and the thread re Agency Tactics said it sounds like an agent that doesn't want to admit it's a dead or almost dead role.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        I'm always scanning the job boards for something else.
        So would you terminate early? The general consensus of the board seems to be that that is a really bad idea. Unprofessional etc.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          You didn’t get the job, but for some reason the agent hasn’t got the nerve to be honest with you. Strike them off your list of agents to use as they will never put you forward again.
          Bad advice IMO. Why burn bridges when you can't possibly know the real situation? Remain open minded and continue to investigate other opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            So would you terminate early? The general consensus of the board seems to be that that is a really bad idea. Unprofessional etc.
            IF you are in-dispensable then yes, if you get a better gig then you can always talk yourself out of it.
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

No - I would only do that if I was being messed around. I'm in a series of short contracts lately so it's not a problem for me. If the golden opportunity came along I might consider giving notice, but would never sour relationships with a client or leave them in the lurch.

Comment

I will only terminate a contract early in fairly extreme circumstances, I take an arguably stupid moral standpoint on following through on my promises.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                  Had a meeting with prospective new client earlier this week, you might have seen my post telling how I was 30 mins late for the interview etc..

Anyway, day #3 after the interview and still no yes or no as to whether they want me. For the last 2 days agency has been telling me that they keep missing each other, or back to back meetings etc. Today I rang up and was told that the manager who interviewed me needs to 'run my skills by one last person' to confirm the decision. I was also told I was the only person going for the interview (whether this is true or not I don't know).

The above is starting to set alarm bells ringing with me now, either they are lying to me, or dragging the time out whilst they consider other options etc. If this is the case it implies to me that I'm clearly not 100% the candidate they want, I'm on a long term gig and I would be leaving this to go short term (ok with better money), but I'm starting to get bad vibes about the client and trust going on here. Am I reading too much into this? Anyone had similar?
                  hey it could just be that they don't have the money to recruit you and they are just 'window shopping' and want to pick your brains for knowledge.

This happened alot in the financial sector circa 2001 in London after Sep 11th.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    Had a meeting with prospective new client earlier this week, you might have seen my post telling how I was 30 mins late for the interview etc..

Anyway, day #3 after the interview and still no yes or no as to whether they want me. For the last 2 days agency has been telling me that they keep missing each other, or back to back meetings etc. Today I rang up and was told that the manager who interviewed me needs to 'run my skills by one last person' to confirm the decision. I was also told I was the only person going for the interview (whether this is true or not I don't know).

The above is starting to set alarm bells ringing with me now, either they are lying to me, or dragging the time out whilst they consider other options etc. If this is the case it implies to me that I'm clearly not 100% the candidate they want, I'm on a long term gig and I would be leaving this to go short term (ok with better money), but I'm starting to get bad vibes about the client and trust going on here. Am I reading too much into this? Anyone had similar?
                    As soon as you leave the interview, (I) stop thinking about that gig and move on mentally to the next one. Start looking straight away and if you get the nod, all well and good, if you don't it's their loss not yours. Stop chasing these agents around, if you've got it they'll get hold of you somehow. if you get no call within 24 hours, you havent got it.

Comment

That's all good advice, thanks for the replies.. I guess I've been getting too hung up about getting the job or not... just going to forget about it and move on with life!
                      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X