• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smoking MX5…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    ASB,

ok,

Wilmsloooooooow,

if it's rings then the compression should be crap and therefore when you rev it up high then it should take a long time for the revs to drop down to idle cos the engine has no compression

so make that test

secondly agree with ASB, sounds like a crocketh of merdeth

Milan.
    I seem to recall that some MX5 were turbo's (possibly only imports with a miata badge?) any way, in this case the oil seals starting to fail in the turbo could be indicative of this - provide smoke is white. What happens is if the engine is switched off while the turbo is still spinning oil can be forced though the seals and into the intakes. This sits around waiting for it to be stated when it finds it's way into the chambers and gets burnt with a white oil smoke. Though this would only be early stage seal failure, as it progresses you'll get the same effect on any lift off after a few seconds on the overrun.

A compression test would very quickly see if all is reasonably well in order in the chambers, but problem is as an 18 year old car it's likely out of tolerance anyway through general wear and tear even if something is about to fail/seriously worn.

Yes, it's almost certainly a complete pile of fetid dingos kidneys. In this market I'm sure one can find a decent example that works for not much more than a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      I seem to recall that some MX5 were turbo's (possibly only imports with a miata badge?) any way, in this case the oil seals starting to fail in the turbo could be indicative of this - provide smoke is white. What happens is if the engine is switched off while the turbo is still spinning oil can be forced though the seals and into the intakes. This sits around waiting for it to be stated when it finds it's way into the chambers and gets burnt with a white oil smoke. Though this would only be early stage seal failure, as it progresses you'll get the same effect on any lift off after a few seconds on the overrun.

A compression test would very quickly see if all is reasonably well in order in the chambers, but problem is as an 18 year old car it's likely out of tolerance anyway through general wear and tear even if something is about to fail/seriously worn.

Yes, it's almost certainly a complete pile of fetid dingos kidneys. In this market I'm sure one can find a decent example that works for not much more than a grand.
      Eunos, Miata is the US name.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Might it also be warn rings ? which expand once the engine is warm and therefore don't let anymore oil into the chamber hence the smoke disappearing ala common condition with Gardners
        Milan,

I am struggling to decipher this post. How do you identify these warn rings? A ring that expands to prevent the release of oil into one's chamber does sound useful. I am intrigued, can you expand this ring theory for me please?

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
          Milan,

I am struggling to decipher this post. How do you identify these warn rings? A ring that expands to prevent the release of oil into one's chamber does sound useful. I am intrigued, can you expand this ring theory for me please?
          This could be the one we seek. The one true worn ring. It's mine it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            This could be the one we seek. The one true worn ring. It's mine it is.
            Nice one, TW.

milanbenes, Lord of the (Worn) Rings.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              what is an "absolute minter"?
              The opposite of this?
              http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...286/munter.jpg
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Wilmsloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow,

by the way, this smoking MX5, what does it smoke ?

Montecristo

Romeo Juliet

?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  You've got more than one drive?
                  I guess having multiple drives makes parking easier

makes putting it up on ramps to fix it easier.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

How can a permie afford 2 cars

Good old Wilmslow can play at being in the Red Arrows with smoke coming out, the trick is to get the red and blue smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                      There is a MX5 up for sale, absolute minter, G reg, immaculate interior with lovely leather seats.

With a sting in the tail.

When starts up, plumes of smoke. After a few minutes, smoke goes and works absolutely perfectly well.

My understanding is that this can only be a sticking valve seal, which should be a very straightforward fix.

But, there is a nagging doubt.

Being a minter this is worth over £2K and hard to find in such good body condition.

Mine for a grand.

Am I boomed, or uber doomed getting this?

Fun for the summer, NOT my main drive!
                      Does this smoke smell a bit "breakfasty", for want of a better word, like a fry-up?

I wonder if it's the old sausages-stuffed-into-the-engine trick, to make it glide like a Roller for a couple of miles and then abruptly turn into something out of a Laurel and Hardy film (lurch BANG! lurch BANG! BOOM!!).
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X