• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spaces or Tabs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the saddest thread ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      .. Sod portability. Tabs are the way to go for indenting.

If you want to convert tabs to 4/5/6... spaces then any editor (or grep) can do that for you.

Why add white-space bloat to the source code?
      Tabs are evil. Anyone who puts them into source code (when not expanded automatically to spaces) will find their soul sealed in a bottle and cast down into the deepest pit of hell, there to remain in torment for all eternity next to Judas Iscariot, Brutus, and the guy who decided to use tabs in the Unix "make" utility ...

HTH
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
        This is the saddest thread ever.
        No, the saddest thread ever would be whether to put the first curly brace on the same line as the start of the block of statements <shudder> or on a fresh line.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          No, the saddest thread ever would be whether to put the first curly brace on the same line as the start of the block of statements <shudder> or on a fresh line.
          always a fresh line!!!
          someone needs to make a poll
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Ugh - why on a new line?

I had this discussion with somebody at a client a few years ago. I ended it by saying "Fine, you do it that way; I'll do it the right way."

Comment

Anyone who voted tabs deserves their next job to be remotely hotfixing code via ssh and vi. Anyone who's done such a thing will know how evil tabs are and that those who use them should burn in hell.

Same thing applies to those who put curly braces on the same line and not on a new line, and for the same reason. Screw Sun and their coding standards, Gosling obviously never loaded a file into vi with lines wrapping all over the place and tried to work out what code was part of what loop.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Edlin doesn't.

HTH.

Neither does vi (though I always hesitate to state anything about UNIX because there is always some smarterarse...). I use vi for the same reason as I once used edlin: at least you know it will be on any machine you use.

PS I just verified that by opening a DOs window and running edlin here. How do you get out of entry mode?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Ugh - why on a new line?

I had this discussion with somebody at a client a few years ago. I ended it by saying "Fine, you do it that way; I'll do it the right way."
                  New line means its easier to visually match a } with a {

Not that I ever program anything anymore that needs braces round blocks of code
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    New line means its easier to visually match a } with a {
                    Most important is the vertical alignment.

Not that I ever program anything anymore that needs braces round blocks of code
                    Well, no. But I don't mind telling the kids where they're going wrong

Comment

Config files or none. That is the question. (for piddly little 10-line scripts).

Comment

Working...
                      X