• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do I not feel well off any more?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Well, I earn £44 an hour, work 42 to 45 hours a week for 45 weeks a year. I'll have no mortgage from January 2009 and no other debt. I pay a £1k a month into my SIPP.

Why do I not feel well off any more?
    Stop whinging - ffs this might make you put things in perspective you idiot:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7725997.stm
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      I think the real answer is that you have worked hard and saved hard during the past few years, only to have it all thrown in your face as the government strives to save those who have accumulated huge debts.

You are being penalised for not having followed the fliped up masses.
      Yeah, he should have got a council house, had 10 children and signed on for every benefit going.

Thats the way to do well in Britain!
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

You've made the banal mistake of reading the Daily Mail garbage that DimPrawn used to post (before it was killed by popular demand), and then allowing it to influence your mental state.

If you want to be happy in life, it's important to understand that the Daily Mail exists for the sole purpose of manipulating the opinions of those who are better off than others into a form of paranoia based around the principle that those others are actively seeking to take everything away from you.

In fact, all those others are trying to do is to do what you did, and they have no interest in harming your interests as they strive towards this goal.

If you really feel so unsettled, I suggest that you start looking at your situation objectively rather than allowing Internet doom-mongers to colour your opinions.

Remember, DP and its ilk derive pleasure from destroying any pleasure you - a stranger to them - might take in life by simply clicking on a "Submit Post" button. Then they sit back and laugh as you make posts about your unhappiness.

These are the Internet equivalent of people who smear their own faeces on the walls and seats of public lavatories to discomfort people they will never meet.

Deny them this pleasure. Be happy that you are actually inordinately well off. And stop reading the Daily Mail, unless you can do so for the sake of the huge belly laughs one derives from seeing through the way they try to manipulate you into being a stupid paranoid bourgeois when you're actually an intelligent and wealthy person.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          You've made the banal mistake of reading the Daily Mail garbage that DimPrawn used to post (before it was killed by popular demand), and then allowing it to influence your mental state.

If you want to be happy in life, it's important to understand that the Daily Mail exists for the sole purpose of manipulating the opinions of those who are better off than others into a form of paranoia based around the principle that those others are actively seeking to take everything away from you.

In fact, all those others are trying to do is to do what you did, and they have no interest in harming your interests as they strive towards this goal.

If you really feel so unsettled, I suggest that you start looking at your situation objectively rather than allowing Internet doom-mongers to colour your opinions.

Remember, DP and its ilk derive pleasure from destroying any pleasure you - a stranger to them - might take in life by simply clicking on a "Submit Post" button. Then they sit back and laugh as you make posts about your unhappiness.

These are the Internet equivalent of people who smear their own faeces on the walls and seats of public lavatories to discomfort people they will never meet.

Deny them this pleasure. Be happy that you are actually inordinately well off. And stop reading the Daily Mail, unless you can do so for the sake of the huge belly laughs one derives from seeing through the way they try to manipulate you into being a stupid paranoid bourgeois when you're actually an intelligent and wealthy person.

Ah, you have more patience than me Nick. Well put
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

IMO this is contender for post of the year!

I always knew I hated the daly mail. alot. partly because of the low quality of journalism. but Nick has expressed my feelings in words.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              Because you've spent your life getting to this point and realised that being here you forgot to enjoy the journey on the way. As such your standards have increased as a substitute for happiness and your expectations in terms of value have grown considerably as a result.

Pack it all in, travel the world a bit, see a few things, then once your expectations and values have been reset you will appreciate the fact you -are- actually 'well off' (in comparison terms with the rest of society in general).
              Probably correct.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Are you getting divorced?
                Nope, I'd be even worse off

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  I think the real answer is that you have worked hard and saved hard during the past few years, only to have it all thrown in your face as the government strives to save those who have accumulated huge debts.

You are being penalised for not having followed the fliped up masses.
                  Yes, I think you're right at least in part.

Comment

Thank you NF and Ruprecht, I wouldn't say I was "unhappy", more like I don't seem to be getting any better off, yet I suppose when you look at the numbers I'm lucky to be where I am really. I'm a lot better off than many folks for sure. For the record, I am not a Mail reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      Thank you NF and Ruprecht, I wouldn't say I was "unhappy", more like I don't seem to be getting any better off, yet I suppose when you look at the numbers I'm lucky to be where I am really. I'm a lot better off than many folks for sure. For the record, I am not a Mail reader.
                      You read the sun then?

Comment

Working...
                      X