• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who is the most detested?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've never fully understood this one, I detest the people who flout the law and park in inconsiderate places more than those who try to police it.

I'm 37 and I've never had a ticket in my life, it’s not that hard to park responsibly.
    Sounds like you don't live in London.

I once got a ticket because the meter broke down.

Some chap got a ticket because he pulled over on a single yellow to answer his phone for 1 minute. He was fined via camera.

People get tickets (by camera) for box junction violations, some of which are unavoidable (i.e. getting cut up, very large box junctions, bad road markings etc.)

There are plenty of other 'honey traps' around the city which routinely catch even the most careful drivers. So parking fines will tax you around £50 a year on average if you're careful in London. And camera fines will soon be rolled out across the country, which I'm sure you'll agree is only fair
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Sounds like you don't live in London.

I once got a ticket because the meter broke down.

Some chap got a ticket because he pulled over on a single yellow to answer his phone for 1 minute. He was fined via camera.

People get tickets (by camera) for box junction violations, some of which are unavoidable (i.e. getting cut up, very large box junctions, bad road markings etc.)

There are plenty of other 'honey traps' around the city which routinely catch even the most careful drivers. So parking fines will tax you around £50 a year on average if you're careful in London. And camera fines will soon be rolled out across the country, which I'm sure you'll agree is only fair
      Last one I had was in a road where at the top of the road there were pay and display bays and further down the road it was residents only. Not knowing this (I don't stop to read each parking sign as I drive down the road looking for a space) I parked in a residents bay and bought a pay and display ticket.

When I came out to see one of our friends putting a ticket on my car I asked him if my ticket had run out (I knew it hadn't) and he pointed out that I was in a residents bay and not a pay and display..

£60 if paid off in the first 2 weeks otherwise it goes up to £120..

That's some expensive paper they must use to make those tickets
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        "We" got my vote

I concur with that!

Surprised HR has only got one vote. When I meet with my contractors "HR" is the universal evil! They like there agent so have no need to slate him (me!)
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

I once stopped a small van for loading, in a residents' parking bay. The road markings and street signs clearly indicated two areas in the street:
          1. no parking, and no loading (at the time of day concerned).
          2. no parking without resident's permit. At these places, "no loading" was NOT indicated. I therefore concluded that loading there was allowed.

I got a ticket, and on querying it at the town hall, was told that the definitive regulations were on the town hall maps, not on the street; and the town hall maps said no loading there.

Comment

Family court judge

BrilloPad
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Jobcentre staff and any other public servants that we have to fill forms in for. They are jobsworths.

Comment

HR folk, every time. No contest. They are utterly crap, retarded, often pointless and yet sooooooo busy...yeah, right! Offal every last one of 'em. And that's scientific fact.

Comment

Pikeys

Comment

Working...
                  X