• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A message for Dutch speakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    They're all the descendants of an experiment in 1521 when King Christian II brought 45 farming families up from Holland to provide food to the court.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      That said the pronunciation of the langauges is very differnt - for example in WW2 Allied soldiers folllwing the route of the Nazis from The Nehtherlands - would test if a suspected German soldier was in fact pretending to be Dutch by asking him to pronounce the name of the Dutch resort Schevinigen.
      I heard the Germans did the same with suspected allies using the town of Oegstgeest - at least that's what I was told when I lived in Leiden.

Comment

Rather interestingly in the 'official' Danish history the first example of an integration problem was in 1735 when a Danish speaking priest was appointed to a Church on an island that is now part of Copenhagen where all the locals spoke Sallands (and little or no Danish). Lots of people in the area still have Dutch names and the accent is recognisably Dutch, well to my ears. They're all the descendants of an experiment in 1521 when King Christian II brought 45 farming families up from Holland to provide food to the court.
        not anymore.

I know a few who have moved to Amager.
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
          not anymore.

I know a few who have moved to Amager.
          Thanks to the citizenship requirements the congregation can rest easy and be glad to know a foreigner living in Denmark generally knows more about Denmark and Danish culture than even a well educated Dane.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
            Ben ick van Duytschen bloet

although I quite like these lines:

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
            Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Threaded wrote : when King Christian II brought 45 farming families up from Holland to provide food to the court.

Threaded's ancestors

their football-field sized dining table
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Thanks to the citizenship requirements the congregation can rest easy and be glad to know a foreigner living in Denmark generally knows more about Denmark and Danish culture than even a well educated Dane.
                You were not talking about Amager?
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                X