• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Huge job cuts' for public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.rcgp.org.uk/pdf/SYWTBGP%20Booklet.pdf

If you've got a degree you can take a conversion degree (medical) in 4 yrs instead of 5.

Once you have this, you are basically laughing.

I'm too old to be chopping and changin but if I were young and had enough money to support myself for the 4 yrs, I'd jump at it.

Job for life at stupendous salary and all the nurses you can eat. And a pension that makes bankers looks like paupers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

If you've got a degree you can take a conversion degree (medical) in 4 yrs instead of 5.

I'm too old to be chopping and changin but if I were young and had enough money to support myself for the 4 yrs, I'd jump at it.

Job for life at stupendous salary and all the nurses you can eat. And a pension that makes bankers looks like paupers.
      Graduate entry medicine, even for science graduates, is exceptionally competitive - I know, I've been trying to get into it for years and failed every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Graduate entry medicine, even for science graduates, is exceptionally competitive - I know, I've been trying to get into it for years and failed every time.
        Funny that Britain imports thousands of doctors from abroad every year rather than train it's own people.

Comment

I'm a bit too old for that kind of change now too, I should have tried when I saw the writing on the wall in 2001.

Comment

Funny that Britain imports thousands of doctors from abroad every year rather than train it's own people.
            WHS*1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              What about dentistry? I thought Dentists were failed Doctors?

Comment

Not too sure that cuts in the NHS will impact on IT folk as most of this is outsourced anyway.

The big cuts will be in central government where there are literally thousands of contractors in IT related roles.

One point to bear in mind: in many cases Government Agencies have a legal obligation to deliver essential services and must maintain these services somehow without the aid of contractors in the future it seems.
                The only way this will happen is for more work to be sent overseas (non-sensitive work) or the larger consultancies pick work onshore. Either way bad news for us.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  What about dentistry? I thought Dentists were failed Doctors?
                  True, but I hate dentists, so it'd be a bit hyopcritical of me to become one.

Plus, I think I'd be too tempted with a chav in the chair to inject them with pethidine.

Comment

Stay on target

There is a shortage of professional IT and engineering personnel in this country. The universities are under subscribed, and for the first time ever one of the best graduate training courses in the country (Rolls-Royce) couldn't fill all it's places.

We are in a high demand sector, and that demand is going to increase over time as the shortage increases. This may sound rubbish to someone that has been on the bench for 6 months, but the long term prospects of our sector are good.
                    Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                      There is a shortage of professional IT and engineering personnel in this country. The universities are under subscribed, and for the first time ever one of the best graduate training courses in the country (Rolls-Royce) couldn't fill all it's places.

We are in a high demand sector, and that demand is going to increase over time as the shortage increases. This may sound rubbish to someone that has been on the bench for 6 months, but the long term prospects of our sector are good.

Comment

Working...
                      X