• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Huge job cuts' for public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://www.rcgp.org.uk/pdf/SYWTBGP%20Booklet.pdf

If you've got a degree you can take a conversion degree (medical) in 4 yrs instead of 5.

Once you have this, you are basically laughing.

I'm too old to be chopping and changin but if I were young and had enough money to support myself for the 4 yrs, I'd jump at it.

Job for life at stupendous salary and all the nurses you can eat. And a pension that makes bankers looks like paupers.
    You then have 2-3 years as a hospital doctor working tulip loads of hours and living in the wards, then, assuming you want to be a GP you will have to do locums (350 a day) for a number of years until you get a partnership if you are lucky.

To suggest that you finish 4 years and walk into a 200,000 grand a year job (which you would be working about 6-7 days a week to get on NHS money) is nonsense.

Also the gov knew they buggered up the new contract and the wages are down about 10-15% in the last coule of years which is going to continue,

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      You then have 2-3 years as a hospital doctor working tulip loads of hours and living in the wards, then, assuming you want to be a GP you will have to do locums (350 a day) for a number of years until you get a partnership if you are lucky.

To suggest that you finish 4 years and walk into a 200,000 grand a year job (which you would be working about 6-7 days a week to get on NHS money) is nonsense.

Also the gov knew they buggered up the new contract and the wages are down about 10-15% in the last coule of years which is going to continue,
      I've never heard of a poor Doctor.

What are '350 locums a day'? I've heard of short term contracts, but one every 2 minutes would look bad on a CV.

Comment

Sorry forgot to exclude Swindon from that. Your doomed.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Utter bollox. The pay is going up and the 2-3 years as a hospital doctor is no longer the workfest it once was. More of a shag and booze fest.

And £200K is not even a high income for most GP's who work part time.

Comment

Dimprawn et al - you make me laugh. Thinking you could become a doctor with your limited cognitive abilities is like AtW thinking he can become an entrepreneur.

Seems like most CUKKERS live in cloud cuckoo land.

Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've spent a lot of time with people in white coats.

Comment

I've spent a lot of time with people in white coats.
                The fashionable ones, with the wraparound sleeves?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Seems like most CUKKERS live in cloud cuckoo land.
                  Sounds nice - can I go and live there? If not, how about duck island? I fancy that too.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I've never heard of a poor Doctor.

What are '350 locums a day'? I've heard of short term contracts, but one every 2 minutes would look bad on a CV.
                    The average GP was pulling in about 60k a year until the new contract, OK now it is about 130k but the Goverment know that they got shafted and are changing the goalposts to try and get it back well under 100k. That is probably a resonable income for an IT contractor so why bother moving.

Comment

Exactly. Don't bother, you wouldn't like the low hours as a GP, the holidays and the amazing pension at 55.

Much better to stick to IT, that ain't going to go away to India is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X