• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is working where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have spent about 6 of the last 10 years in Germany as there is very little work for me in the NW.
    My current gig is a bit difficult as weekend commutes are almost impossible. I am working 5 or 6 weeks then taking a week or 2 off.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      I did consider that but decided not to count them. This is CUK after all. I was trying to get a gauge on those who live or work in the UK.
      So what about Live in the UK, Work abroad?

If you're looking at UK contractors and where they go to find work, that is IMHO a very important segment, because ISTM that it is much larger than the number of Live abroad/Work in the UK. If you looked at the same 2 complemntary figures for e.g. NL or Germany or Switzerland, the story would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Same here. I commute from Manchester to Dusseldorf most weeks.
        I'm doing that weekly at the moment. I'm lucky to have got a six monther with the possibility of extensions. I'm actually very impressed with the country and the people. Unfortunately, my German is poor and Windows is set up in German only

Its a learning experience and one that I would recommend to anybody that is struggling to find work in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          So what about Live in the UK, Work abroad?

If you're looking at UK contractors and where they go to find work, that is IMHO a very important segment, because ISTM that it is much larger than the number of Live abroad/Work in the UK. If you looked at the same 2 complemntary figures for e.g. NL or Germany or Switzerland, the story would be different.
          That option is there, twice! Live in North/South commute abroad.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Live in NW and working in NW. Current gig for the last ~13 months and hopefully to be extended on Friday for a year. For 4 out of the last 15 years I have been home based. Mostly, I have been weekly commuting UK and Europe (but only for short spells in Europe). Longest weekly commute was NW to SE Mon>Fri for 15 months 5 years ago.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I live in the south west and my clients are based here also. Never had to commute more than an hour to a client office.

I have a new client in Germany which will need a commute but this will only be occasional visits.

Only been contracting 3 years, currently on just shy of 50% increase on my starting rate in 2006!!
              Beer
              is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                How about a button for those that live and work abroad??

PZZ
                Was there something about the "UK" part of "Contractor UK" that confused you when you joined?

Comment

Where is the north / south divide - Watford Gap?

Comment

I'm currently working in the London, a commutable distance from home. That said, I still WFH as much as possible - normally a couple of days a week.

Previously, I've done stints all over the place - Moscow being the longest, most money and biggest PITA.

That said, I'd love to still be on €1000 a day for sitting in an office being "available" rather than working my arse off for the pittance I'm getting now...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                      That option is there, twice! Live in North/South commute abroad.
                      I never read the spec, it only confuses me

Comment

Working...
                      X