• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arsenal 0 - 3 Tottenham

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    So, let me get this straight.

A group of overpaid lads wearing shirts in one colour, stuff a ball in to the net of another group of overpaid lads in another colour shirt, and one group of lads emerges the winner.

And this is important how exactly ?
    The opera for the masses. And it gives you an excuse to get some brews with a few mates on a Saturday.

Comment

So, let me get this straight.

A group of overpaid contractors wearing shirts, talk about some stuff to another group of overpaid contractors also wearing shirts, as they all stare at a powerpoint presentation.

And this is important how exactly ?
      This is a very important business to most of us.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        WHS

BGG - you, sasguru and the rest of you, have one foot in the grave

Comment

"Football is not just a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            I doubt it's most.

To answer BGG it's about tribalism and precious little else.

I always find it hugely comical when people talk about the team they support as "we" when in 99.9% of cases they have no measure of ownership or belonging. The "clubs" stopped being actual clubs decades ago, most of the players are from different areas, countries or even continents and the huge majority of the fans have never even been in their "home" stadium. In many cases the fans haven't even set foot in the town/city "their" club is based.

Football is about hugely lucrative business in the top divisions, nothing to do with sport.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Football is about hugely lucrative business in the top divisions, nothing to do with sport.
              I think it's both. In amidst the theatrical antics, there are some incredible displays of skill by the top players. I find anything which pushes what I see as the limits of human ability to be interesting, sporting or otherwise.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                I doubt it's most.

To answer BGG it's about tribalism and precious little else.

I always find it hugely comical when people talk about the team they support as "we" when in 99.9% of cases they have no measure of ownership or belonging. The "clubs" stopped being actual clubs decades ago, most of the players are from different areas, countries or even continents and the huge majority of the fans have never even been in their "home" stadium. In many cases the fans haven't even set foot in the town/city "their" club is based.

I own shares in my club, I was at the game Yesterday, I live in the city where my club is from so to back up your claim you will have to find 1000 people on here who cannot say the same to give any credence to your sweeping general statement.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is that legal?
                  Yes of course - they now allow non-Sky subscribers to do that, so far seems ok though site wasn't working correctly for days preventing sign up, some of the video feeds are not available online

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The opera for the masses. And it gives you an excuse to get some brews with a few mates on a Saturday.
                    Or opium ?

I just wonder what it is that makes football, for example, the most followed sport here in the UK, over and above other hobbies and pastimes, eg : Golf,boxing, showjumping, cricket, rugby, tiddlywinks, ping pong, go carting, fishing, computer gaming, reading, etc.

Some of the others have balls in them, they have teams, they have clubs and fanbois.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Or opium ?

I just wonder what it is that makes football, for example, the most followed sport here in the UK, over and above other hobbies and pastimes, eg : Golf,boxing, showjumping, cricket, rugby, tiddlywinks, ping pong, go carting, fishing, computer gaming, reading, etc.

Some of the others have balls in them, they have teams, they have clubs and fanbois.
                      Opium, Opera, Soma, whatever.

I have been in games with 80,000 people on the terraces completely engadged emotionally for 90 minutes in what is going on in front of you. Highs, lows, you do not get that with tiddlywinks.

A Pele goal, Maradona juggling the bottle with his feet, Van Basten scoring from an impossible angle, Celtic winning the European Cup in 67, Larssons's run from the half way line, nutmeg, goal. I enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X