• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

v. scary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    I remember once seeing a China Airways flight 666 on Friday the 13th in Changi airport, Singapore. No way you would have paid me to be on that flight!

Why? Does the naming of a plane or date cause a plane to crash?

Comment

Have been on something very similar many years ago on a "Dan Dare" (remember them?) flight to Paris - landing in a storm with gusting winds.
      Screaming people, lockers open, plane seemingly flung about like a toy.
      Luckily in those days (early 90s) you could smoke, usually at the back.
      I think I got through a whole pack during the seemingly interminable landing, one hand gripping the seat like a vice.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
        Whoever you are, your sockpuppet is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
          The voice of reason.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Have been on something very similar many years ago on a "Dan Dare" (remember them?) flight to Paris
            Yeah, flew back fom Naples with them once and had to make an unscheduled landing in lyon because the plane was nearly out of fuel from flying into a strong headwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Whoever you are, your sockpuppet is crap.

Im real. No sockpuppet.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Yeah, flew back fom Naples with them once and had to make an unscheduled landing in lyon because the plane was nearly out of fuel from carrying too many fat bastards.
                FTFY!

Comment

A friend and I were out in the states flying a Cessna 152 around Florida at the time hurricane Opal was forming. A bit annoying as we were going to spend a few days in Key West but the hurricane front prevented us. It was pretty scary going anywhere near the hurricane - even 20 miles away the plane was being thrown around like a baby in a tumble drier - the video I took looks pretty impressive.

We eventually got a commercial back to the UK on the day the hurricane arrived in St Petersburg - in all the thunder, gusts and lightning the plane was being heavily buffeted causing a few screams in the cabin but we were so used to being thrown around in that little C152 that it didn't bother us.

However, I still don't like turbulence myself - find it pretty uncomfortable, especially when other people are panicking around me.

Don't mind it when I'm flying myself, although once when I was trying to fly on instruments I had to turn back because I couldn't use the nav aids because the turbulence was so bad.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    Just got of the scariest flight I've ever been on in my whole life. Really violent turbulence with people screaming - at one point there was a bang and the whole plane just seemed to fall out the sky with stuff spilling out the overhead lockers. Thought that was curtains back there for a while. Apparently, someone told me just now to put my mind at rest, a plane has never crashed as a result of turbulance. Is that right? It felt to me like the wings could have sheared off at any moment.
                    There was a bloke that used to drink at my old local that was an aircraft maintenance engineer.

He used to tell me that modern aircraft will survive flying through adverse weather conditions longer than the passengers will.

He added that avoiding third world airlines was the best way to minimize the risks of flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      There was a bloke that used to drink at my old local that was an aircraft maintenance engineer.

He used to tell me that modern aircraft will survive flying through adverse weather conditions longer than the passengers will.

He added that avoiding third world airlines was the best way to minimize the risks of flying.
                      No more RyanAir flights for me then!

Comment

Working...
                      X