• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good old Open Source

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    OK, I've bought myself a copy of vBulletin.

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

NF, you're a star.

Admin, if/when this all gets sorted, can we move to design and IA next?

Comment

I think Nick should be a moderator, as a reward for his help.

Then we can watch General get deleted in an afternoon....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I think Nick should be a moderator, as a reward for his help.
          Having been a moderator for Usenet newsgroups and mailing lists, I can assure you it is no reward.

It is not out of fear that I do not abuse the mods, it is out of pity.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Having been a moderator for Usenet newsgroups and mailing lists, I can assure you it is no reward.
            WHS with bells on. Not a job to be envied at times. And if someone really wants to be a mod, they probably shouldn't be allowed to be one, if you catch my drift.

Comment

I wonder whether the newer version of vBSEO would make any difference. Not knowing what runs on the site, I have no idea - just something else to throw into the mix.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

it's test, please delete, sho why don't you delete it after all?

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                  it's test, please delete, sho why don't you delete it after all?
                  Because it must remain until the end of the universe.

HTH
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Because it must remain until the end of the universe.

HTH
                    Sometime around 2050 when the oil runs out, then?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                      Reports of use of INNODB over MyISAM - good to stop table locking, which may be the problem here, but users often end up going back to MyISAM due to performance issues from threads that I have read in the past.
                      I've been looking at implementing InnoDB on and off for a while now, (though have held off because I'm using a shared hosting solution and can't knobble the MySQL parameters).

Various folks have done it with Drupal, usually needing to hack it a bit to do certain things in a more InnoDB friendly way, and the current development version (V7 - the next major release) uses InnoDB as the default.

Yes, what suits Drupal won't necessarily fit VBulletin requirements, but there's some good experience out there which is probably highly relevant.

Converting your Drupal MySQL database from MyISAM to InnoDB - do follow the links here

In particular, search tables are probably best left as MyISAM, and the default buffer pool sizes for InnoDB are pitifully low.

Referring back to:
                      I've just changed all my InnoDB tables back to MyISAM because:
                      a) InnoDB seemed to use more memory
                      b) InnoDB causes load to go up - changing back to MyISAM dropped my loads down by 90%!!!
                      c) InnoDB used more hard disk space
                      d) InnoDB is slower than MyISAM
                      1. Yes it can use more memory, but that also gives faster performance
                      2. In one case I read about, this was because it was actually doing more useful work - i.e. the bottleneck had shifted
                      3. dumping the MyISAM database by primary key apparently solves this
                      4. Way too general a statement - it depends on what it's being asked to do

MySQL Engines: MyISAM vs. InnoDB again follow the links
                      MySQL InnoDB: performance gains as well as some pitfalls - take note of the stuff about locking, autoincrement fields and SELECT (*) COUNT (SELECT (*) MAX is better if that fits the app).
                      InnoDB Performance Tuning

I got this little lot from Googling "drupal 7 innodb" - there were plenty more hits.
                      Last edited by Sysman; 17 November 2009, 14:44.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X