• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feminism in practice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was tempted next time to let it bang in her face, but I'm not that vindictive.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I don't mind men holding doors open as I hold doors open for people too, but what i do mind is some bloke right at the end of the corridor waiting and holding the door open for me. I find that a bit daft really.
      This is near the top of my list of pet hates, when you have to do that stupid TROT then thank them for it. Argh.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It's pretty common here to hold doors open for people - holder and holdee (?) of either sex. I hate doing that trot as well.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          It's pretty common here to hold doors open for people - holder and holdee (?) of either sex. I hate doing that trot as well.
          Just remembered an angry moment of mine from yesterday (I usually have a daily dose). Went to the doctors with baby, and approached the entrance while holding a large bag and folder in one hand, and the baby in my other arm.

There was a woman with a pushchair on the other side of the door so I pulled the door open and held it awkwardly to let her through first - she blustered through (running over my foot in the process) and didn't acknowledge me, let alone thank me.

Obviously I shouted "No, thank YOU!!" after her, like a child.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            There was a woman with a pushchair
            Pushchairs take precendence over EVERYTHING.

Poxy things.

Whenever I see someone either with one of those baby-rucsacs on their back or with a baby strapped to their front by the (ethnic, of course) clothing, I always make a point of smiling at them. They always smile back. And their child is always either dead to the world, or happy and interested in its surroundings.

Pushchairs are the rebototic droid spawns of the Devil. They serve no benefit other than to skin ankles, fall over, be pushed off kerbs into traffic (WTF do people do this? ) while the pedestrian walks up to the kerb, clog up buses and trains and to give the pusher the god-given right to behave like selfish tulips.

(Yes, that's right, I don't have kids, so no, you're right, I'm not entitled to an opinion. Blah, blah, feckin blah.)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

This is near the top of my list of pet hates, when you have to do that stupid TROT then thank them for it. Argh.
              Five step rule applies.

If they're not going to reach the door within 5 steps you shouldn't hold it open. Unless;
              a) they're cute
              b) they have bags etc

HTH

Comment

I play safe and only hold the door open enough for them to squeeze by me.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I play safe and only hold the door open enough for them to squeeze by me.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    I don't mind men holding doors open as I hold doors open for people too, but what i do mind is some bloke right at the end of the corridor waiting and holding the door open for me. I find that a bit daft really.
                    One of the most difficult distances to judge is the distance beyond which you don't need to hold the door open for someone.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

We only do it to see your boobs wobble.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X