• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some financial questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Hi there:

Mrs BB and I had the inaugural finance meeting last night.

We can up with some questions which I thought some kind soul would have an answer for, so here goes:
    1. Moving home (not first time buyer) what costs should we factor in
    2. If we buy a £400K house with need of renovation (say £50K) can we borrow this on the mortgage?
    3. We want to set up a meeting with an IFA. How do we source one who doesn't just want to sell stuff and will give us really good advice.
    4. We want to get a new credit card with rewards (airmiles, cashback etc.) and put all of our transactions through it. Has anyone got suggestions and where do we do research?
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    1) Google gave me this

2) Yes, provided you qualify for a £450 000 mortgage

3) Personal recommendations are probably the best bet. Alternatively do your own research

4) I would start with determining where the bulk of your spend is and then see which cards would help the most. Personally I use the BA Amex card.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Anyone want to point the mistake Oracleslave made?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Anyone want to point the mistake Oracleslave made?
      Me me. Pick me.

Comment

Me me. Pick me.
        Go on then.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Go on then.
          No you first, enlighten me.

Comment

I think you will find that the Bank/BS will only lend capital based on the current value of the property. Not some notional value that may or may not apply after said work is carried out. But there may be more to it than that.

HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              I think you will find that the Bank/BS will only lend capital based on the current value of the property. Not some notional value that may or may not apply after said work is carried out. But there may be more to it than that.

HTH
              I stand corrected. I understood 100% plus mortgages were possible as explained here

Comment

No you first, enlighten me.
                You made the assumption that buying his 400k house required a 400k mortgage. Nowhere in his original post was the size of mortgage mentioned.

Comment

Joanne, who has no deposit, decides to buy a property for £100,000 but the k itchen and bathroom are in poor repair. She gets an estimate for the work and she finds a builder who will do the complete job for £5,000. Joanne decides to go for the property and apply for a 105% mortgage. This will mean that she will get:

• £100,000 to purchase the property

• £5,000 to repair the property.

After the repair the property will be worth £110,000 as it is more saleable now as the property is more presentable to the market. Thus her buying power has increased from £nil to £110,000 due to the fact that Joanne took on a mortgage that was greater than 100% loan to value.
                  What they don't mention is that if you default on a payment for one of these institutions, apparently, the lenders "agents" turn up and remove your spleen with a meat cleaver...and that is for first offences.

HTH
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Cost for new furniture when you decide your old stuff a)is due replacement b)doesn't suit the new house c)won't physically fit up the stairs or something.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                      Hi there:

Mrs BB and I had the inaugural finance meeting last night.

We can up with some questions which I thought some kind soul would have an answer for, so here goes:
                      1. Moving home (not first time buyer) what costs should we factor in
                      2. If we buy a £400K house with need of renovation (say £50K) can we borrow this on the mortgage?
                      3. We want to set up a meeting with an IFA. How do we source one who doesn't just want to sell stuff and will give us really good advice.
                      4. We want to get a new credit card with rewards (airmiles, cashback etc.) and put all of our transactions through it. Has anyone got suggestions and where do we do research?
                      Be interested to know how much '' renovation" you expect for 50k
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X