• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

our economy is a wholly own subsidiary of the biosphere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't hear the piece but surely he has a point. In the long term how can we continue growing our demand for resources at an exponential rate (even 1% year on year is exponential) against a background of diminishing resources?

Isn't this analogous with Brown spending money without stopping to think where it is all coming from?
    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Is everyones catchphrase now 'we can't go on like this'?

Because if it is, we can't go on like this...
      I think the following line "with suspicious minds" has more of an element of truth to it in considering the climate change gibberish. Until we do, we'll be "caught in a trap".

hyperD in "Blue Suede Shoes" mode
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
        I didn't hear the piece but surely he has a point. In the long term how can we continue growing our demand for resources at an exponential rate (even 1% year on year is exponential) against a background of diminishing resources?

Isn't this analogous with Brown spending money without stopping to think where it is all coming from?
        Economic growth does not necessarily involve ever increasing use of resources. It can in fact involve reducing the use of resources. Let’s say you want to buy a boiler for your central heating. If you had bought a boiler 30 years ago, it would have burnt more gas and given you less returns than a modern boiler today. The modern system uses less unrenewable resources, but is much better at heating your home. As well as that, the modern boiler is sold to you at a profit, employing people and providing returns on investment to the people who made it.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

WHS^

If China carries on at 9% it's economic activity will double in just 8 years, some bugger stole the lead of my local primary school roof in the middle of the night... I expect this sort of activity to increase as the far east turns into a sort of global resource black whole.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

It will be fine.

There's bound to be other planets that we can one day mine or colonize.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
              It will be fine.

That's what zeity thought when he came here.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
                It will be fine.

I hear 'LV-426' is nice.

Or we could just rely on extra terrestrial guardians to save us again:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39929
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X