• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Root of all Evil - Ch4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abraham got visited by God in Ur ( Iraq). This led to Jews, Christians and Muslims.

There was also some egyptian pharaoh who believed only in the sun god and no others. Can't remember his name or if he preceded Abraham.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      The answer is that Human beings is thick, innit?
      Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses ......

Comment

Did n't see it after hearing him on the Jeremy Vine show.

Frankly I don't and it was also muddled thinking which if I remember the Vine show goes something like Without Religion Evil people will do evil and good will do good but it takes religion to make good people do evil.

Err... It's from religion one gets the concept of good and evil so without religion there would be no good and no evil.

Further our concept of good and evil has come from religion. Many of our laws have at their root religious rules.

Evil men may misinterpret religious rules to justify their actions but they are not evil because of the religion

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
          Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses ......
          Soylent Green, anyone...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
            Abraham got visited by God in Ur ( Iraq). This led to Jews, Christians and Muslims.

There was also some egyptian pharaoh who believed only in the sun god and no others. Can't remember his name or if he preceded Abraham.
            Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
            Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
            God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
            God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
            The next time you see me comin' you better run"
            Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
            God says, "Out on Highway 61."

Now the rovin' gambler he was very bored
            He was tryin' to create a next world war
            He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
            He said I never engaged in this kind of thing before
            But yes I think it can be very easily done
            We'll just put some bleachers out in the sun
            And have it on Highway 61.

Alf Zimmerman

Comment

I watched it and found it very interesting from all sides of the fence. It is this kind of debate that we need to have. But, unfortunately, the religious extremists won't entertain the idea that a life without religion can (or should) exisit (both the muslim and that bloke with the teeth being fine examples).

Although I am an atheist, I don't condone removing religion. But what does really annoy me is that most if not all religions preach tolerance and understanding at their core. This is something sadly lacking on all sides. People are blinded by their interpretation of religious 'fact' and refuse to acknowledge other world views.

It's on again next week, same time. I wonder what that instalment will bring?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
                It's on again next week, same time. I wonder what that instalment will bring?
                I think next week it is: Sex is the root of all evil

Or Power. Or Money. Or Democracy.

Or Giant Alien Lizards.

Comment

I think we are all shaped and defined by our actions. The label you attach to yourself is not relevant to anybody, including God. If I do terrible things but call myself a Christian, that doesn't make me a good person doing bad things. I am a bad person doing bad things. It's the message that's important.

So as you said, the root of all evil is a simplistic concept and could be applied to many other things as well.

I didn't see the programme by the way, but many people said it was interesting.

Comment

25.8068 is the root of all evil.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X