• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you mix politics and religion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why?

All the PMs and party leaders pretend to be or are Christian.
    Is that true? I don't recall a single mention of religion all through the campaign. Tony Blair was the last one who made a deal about his christianity, which I always thought was a big vote winning lie. But it looks like I was wrong and actually he was faking being a moderate christian and is in fact more of a nutter christian.

Surely christianity is inherently left wing?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes, I mix politics and religion - I'm C of E.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        You cannot separate religion and politics. Your statement itself is a political position on religion.
        If you're religious then your political views will likely be affected by how you think... but that's no different from a non-religious person's political views being affected by their morals/ethics/agenda. For instance if you are opposed to abortion (whether for religious or personal moral reasons) you will likely not vote fora party who are progressive on allowing it more easily. But a very tight interation of religion/politics doesn't make sense to me - e.g the Christian party seems a dumb idea to me,

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Is that true? I don't recall a single mention of religion all through the campaign. Tony Blair was the last one who made a deal about his christianity, which I always thought was a big vote winning lie. But it looks like I was wrong and actually he was faking being a moderate christian and is in fact more of a nutter christian.
        It's not a big deal here but it does come up as a side issue. Brown's the son of a minister and mentions this quite often, I think Cameron is nominally a wishy-washy CofE Christian. I think Nick Clegg said he has 'no faith' in one of the TV debates in passing.
        There are quite a few Muslim MPs these days, it's very much a non-issue compared to th US though.

This has been debated for centuries by both sides. Christianity clearly talks about putting others first and giving up your wealth to help those in need, but Jesus doesn't denounce personal wealth as long as you don't make it your 'god'. Jesus was pretty keen to keep out of politics, seems he really wasn't interested to much.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Why?

All the PMs and party leaders pretend to be or are Christian.
          With the exception of Nick Clegg - "I'm not a man of faith, but my wife is", as he reminded us in the second debate.
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Actually, Blair didn't - Alistair Campbell said "we don't do God". It was a big thing that Blair "converted" to Christianity after leaving office as PM for some reason (maybe because he is meant to be bringing peace to the middle east?), but the matter of his faith during his rule wasn't raised too much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
              With the exception of Nick Clegg - "I'm not a man of faith, but my wife is", as he reminded us in the second debate.
              Nick Clegg's wife is a man

Comment

sectarianism is the cause of many bloody wars, yugoslavia, northern ireland etc

church and state should be separate, i think we are mostly lucky, queenie doesn't do much despite being head of the anglicans, and let's face it they are just atheists in skirts

Comment

The Reverend Pitcher doesn't seem too left wing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                    Actually, Blair didn't - Alistair Campbell said "we don't do God". It was a big thing that Blair "converted" to Christianity after leaving office as PM for some reason (maybe because he is meant to be bringing peace to the middle east?), but the matter of his faith during his rule wasn't raised too much.
                    Blair was always a Christian but didn't make a big deal out of it. He converted to Catholicism after he left office.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

They keep quiet while in the political eye but all without fail go to Church. You've seen them on TV.

If you aren't religious then you would refuse to go through the motions but they all do.

Also it's well known that if you talk about/ known to be an extremely committed religious follower than the public won't like you i.e. Ruth Kelly.

Nope there are lots of Church-going Tories. The one that quickly comes to mind is Anne Widdecombe even though she is no longer an MP as she stood down.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X