• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 will be reviewed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I can't imagine IR35 should be high up the list for sorting out Britain. IT contractors are a pretty small minority and I'm quite surprised it was mentioned at all pre-election, unless they actually genuinely believe in small business?
    Might be a small group, but have a disproportionate effect on the economy.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I can't imagine IR35 should be high up the list for sorting out Britain. IT contractors are a pretty small minority and I'm quite surprised it was mentioned at all pre-election, unless they actually genuinely believe in small business?
      Well it is on the list. Not sure we'll see much action this year, but it bodes well IMO.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Gosh, how long has it been? It's taken them long enough!
        I agree with the others who commented on this. Two weeks was fairly quick, especially as all manifesto policies are first negotiated with the LibDems.

At the rate you are asking, they'll have the country sorted out in time for tea.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          I bet they create a new independent commission to review IR35.
          All I have heard so far from the new government is that they will "create a new independent commission" to sort out just about every issue they're facing.

We will have no fewer than 30 new independent commissions in 6 months from now
          Don't worry, there'll be an independent commission on the proliferation of independent commissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I agree with the others who commented on this. Two weeks was fairly quick, especially as all manifesto policies are first negotiated with the LibDems.

At the rate you are asking, they'll have the country sorted out in time for tea.
            We'd have had IR35 done and dusted five years ago, if the loonies up north hadn't voted NL back to power in '05...

Question is, what will happen to the PCG now?
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              This just in...

http://programmeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk/business/

"We will review IR 35, as part of a wholesale review of all small business taxation, and seek to replace it with simpler measures that prevent tax avoidance but do not place undue administrative burdens or uncertainty on the self-employed, or restrict labour market flexibility."
              Error establishing a database connection

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Error establishing a database connection
                Is just another example of the damage IR35 has done.

If you can't see why, then you must vote labour.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

that is not a good start for the Tory Skunk Works!

Comment

IIRC the lib dems were going to abolish IR35 by making the treatment of dividends the same as other income ie subject to tax and ni just as if they were salary

Comment

That would be OK by me. Why is earned income taxed more highly than unearned anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X