• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of net neutrality.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net neutrality has nothing to do with individual sites putting up paywalls

And we have known this was coming for a while, Rupert Murdoch's Newscorp announced ages ago everything they have is going behind a paywall and nearly everyone expects it to be a flop
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 1 June 2010, 10:32.

Comment

Right, no problem with paywalls. Problems arise if Sky run an ISP as well as generating content because they can, for example:

-insert Times Online results to be the top hits in Google searches.
      -give Sky VoD services preference for bandwidth rather than, e.g. YouTube.
      -deliberately slow down, sabotage or block competing sites.

Comment

You really don't need the Murdoch websites though while you have the BBC etc? I can't see him making money from this TBH.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Mobile site -

The Times Mobile | Login

It is because they've just launched a new ipad app (that does look quite cool from the advert I saw in the tube). £10 a month I think?

I don't like the paper that much!
          Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          Works just the same as ever for me. Just been to the home page & read a few articles - no mention of payment. Are you overseas or something? Duh.
          See the linky.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            The Times has put up its paywall. Look out for free Times with Sky. End of net neutrality etc. Blah.
            Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Hardly the end of neutrality, just another subscription site.
            Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            WHS. Get off the outrage bus and retain a sense of perspective please...
            Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
            Net neutrality has nothing to do with individual sites putting up paywalls
            Originally posted by Scary View Post
            Right, no problem with paywalls. Problems arise if Sky run an ISP as well as generating content
            oh dear, swamp. I don't think "etc. Blah" made your sarcasm obvious enough. Best to stick with the designated !

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              You really don't need the Murdoch websites though while you have the BBC etc? I can't see him making money from this TBH.
              Nail on head. The BBC's funding model has allowed them to throw vast resources at their web presence.

How can other media companies compete with that?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X