• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who has a will?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Listen Tony!. If you're going to come on to a contracting site and pretend to be a contractor so I'll marry your daughter you've got another thing coming. For a start, where the hell are the camels you promised me, your daughter drinks more wine than Amy Winehouse and no wonder you couldn't wait to get rid of her, have you seen her credit card bill.

I've got your number son!!!
    I've said I'd pay for it. I just refuse to pay for a themed wedding.

Vegas is NOT a church! and you are not fecking Elvis!

Comment

You've obviously got a handle on this Faq, so cheers.

So lets say two examples. (1 partner 2 kids in both examples)

1) A joint house worth 250K (so the dead partners part is 125K, the surviving is 125K) so therefore the other 125K goes to the surviving partner by default? Right?
      Assuming that the partner is either a spouse or civil partner. If you have 2 kids and the estate of the deceased is £125k (half the house, nothing else) - everything goes to the partner.

2) Example 2. A joint house worth 250K, with the dead partner with say 125K worth of cash/assets. So 125K to the partner and then 62.5K each split inheritence free each kid???????????
      So, dead person leaves an estate of £250k. £125k goes to the partner. £62.5k is then placed in trust for the partner (half of what is left), £62.5k split equally between the children. When the second partner dies, that £62.5k trust is then split equally to the children.

So, widow gets £125k now, plus income from the trust while they are alive. Kids get £31,250 each now. When the surviving parent dies, they get the trust split between them (so another £31,250) from the first estate. Plus anything they might get from the second parent's estate.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
        Sounds like you're planning to 'dispose' of your partner, MF.......
        Nah. He'd need to put her under the patio and he's too cheap to pay for one.

Seriously MF - if you want the missus to get something in the event of your untimely demise (and remember the summer bash is only a few weeks away) you need to make a will.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Nah. He'd need to put her under the patio and he's too cheap to pay for one.

Seriously MF - if you want the missus to get something in the event of your untimely demise (and remember the summer bash is only a few weeks away) you need to make a will.
          Patio. I'm not made of money you know!

I'm planning to take out a whole load of contractors at the Summer bash! I've been recording my conversations for six months and I know you bastards are out to get me..........
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Not married. So I believe it goes to Dave. Not sure if this is right though. I have no experience in this whatsoever.
            There's a whole list of relatives to work through, including siblings and even parents.

It goes to the Crown only as a last resort.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So Faq. If you are not married. Ie. Lived together for ten years. What's the rules then? You are neither a spouse or civil partner. So what's the default?

Comment

Can't you take it with you?

e.g.

I, A Contractor, declare this is my last will and testament.

I revoke all prior wills and codicils, whatever they are and to cut a long story short, I want my cash to be buried/burnt* (delete as applicable) with me and my house burnt to the ground and the grounds buried too. I want it all.

Amen. HTH.

A Contractor

Comment

So Faq. If you are not married. Ie. Lived together for ten years. What's the rules then? You are neither a spouse or civil partner. So what's the default?
                  It all goes to the children (split equally), nothing to the person you lived with. They are essentially common-law partners, which are ignored in the laws of intestacy.

If you aren't married or in a civil partnership, and you want to leave something to someone that you lived with, then you must have a will.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

e.g.

I revoke all prior wills and codicils, whatever they are and to cut a long story short, I want my cash to be buried/burnt* (delete as applicable) with me and my house burnt to the ground and the grounds buried too. I want it all.

Amen. HTH.

A Contractor
                    Ah the KLF send off. Like your style

Just imagine your relatives faces - especially if you've got a few qud.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

e.g.

I revoke all prior wills and codicils, whatever they are and to cut a long story short, I want my cash to be buried/burnt* (delete as applicable)

A Contractor
                      Am I allowed to sub in a replacement?

Comment

Working...
                      X