• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Helium running out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helium running out

World helium reserves are running out, Nobel laureate claims - Telegraph

Damn helium cost me at an 18+ month contract once. I was taken on as an engineer on a project to provide the training simulator for a gas plant. A couple of months into the project they found the gas contained huge quantities of helium and its peculiar phyical properties turned the simulation of phase equilibrium and flow from a fairly straightforward task into a nightmare. Basically, a small change in temperature can cause a really large change in phase which in turn impacts flow. The simulation company decided there was no way they could meet the required strictures on accuracy and model stability and walked and out of the project.

I hate Helium. Exterminate!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    World helium reserves are running out, Nobel laureate claims - Telegraph

Damn helium cost me at an 18+ month contract once. I was taken on as an engineer on a project to provide the training simulator for a gas plant. A couple of months into the project they found the gas contained huge quantities of helium and its peculiar phyical properties turned the simulation of phase equilibrium
    and flow from a fairly straightforward task into a nightmare. Basically, a small change in temperature can cause a really large change in phase
    Yawn
    which in turn impacts flow. The simulation company decided there was no way they could meet the required strictures on accuracy and model stability and walked and out of the project.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Helium... reacts with nothing and tends to escape/evaporate from the atmosphere when released.
      The yanks have known (or at least did know) about the finite supply for years hence the huge stockpile of it...
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I thought helium was a byproduct of radioactive decay of certain natural isotopes? Otherwise, wouldn't it all have disappeared long ago?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I thought helium was a byproduct of radioactive decay of certain natural isotopes? Otherwise, wouldn't it all have disappeared long ago?
          Yes, IIRC alpha particles are helium nucleii.

Comment

This was in last weeks New Scientist...
            B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Damn helium cost me at an 18+ month contract once. I was taken on as an engineer on a project to provide the training simulator for a gas plant. A couple of months into the project they found the gas contained huge quantities of helium and its peculiar phyical properties turned the simulation of phase equilibrium and flow from a fairly straightforward task into a nightmare. Basically, a small change in temperature can cause a really large change in phase which in turn impacts flow. The simulation company decided there was no way they could meet the required strictures on accuracy and model stability and walked and out of the project.

Now say it with a funny squeaky voice.

The yanks' stockpile is sold off at a ridiculously low price. When that runs out expect a kids helium balloon to cost ~£100
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I love breathing helium from balloons and talking in a squeaky voice.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  This was in last weeks New Scientist...
                  Originally posted by Scientific American Magazine October 2007
                  Updates; October 2007; Scientific American Magazine; by Philip Yam; 1 Page(s)
                  Helium prices have doubled in the past five years. The high demand is not exactly coming from people with party balloons to fill. Rather helium cools the superconducting coils of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) devices, and the sale of those machines has grown tremendously, driving the demand for helium up by 25 percent since 2003. In contrast, helium production has increased by only about half as much.
                  In 2006 the U.S. sold 23,000 metric tons of helium, which filled 71 percent of the world's helium needs (Algeria and Russia supplied most of the rest). At least one third of the U.S.'s contribution came from the federal helium reserve. Started in 1961, when helium was considered to be a crucial military and technological resource, the stockpile had grown by 1996 to 170,000 metric tons, stored mostly in porous rock beds in the Cliffside gas field near Amarillo, Tex. As part of an effort to privatize government programs, a 1996 act mandated the sale of all but 2,900 tons by 2015. As a result, according to a 2000 National Academy of Sciences report, the total U.S. helium resources will disappear by 2035--probably sooner, because of rising demand. "If within the next five years, new sources of helium are not brought to market, there will be a helium shortage" if demand continues to grow at current rates, says Joseph Peterson of the Bureau of Land Management, the agency that manages the reserve. Recycling of this rare and nonrenewable resource may need to improve greatly to prevent shortfalls.
                  That's us bolloxed then, eh?

Oh well.

Tax on balloons? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                  X